Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost 4 days ago I just finished up about a 6 hour work session on my computer and things seemed peaceful and quite and I suppose automatic updates had some downloads to install on my PC and needed to reboot, this is when everything changed in my PC world . Its an HP Pavillion DV6000 series (DV6226us) which seemed to enter a routine reboot until it got to the windows update config page after windows logo screen it had 3 updates to config but on the 3rd it stayed at 0% completion & rebooted. I let it run quite a few times and realized it wasn't going to start. This Vista bug had never happened to me and I didn't know this was similar to the major SP1 & SP2 update errors years earlier. That night I had no other access to the internet to find a solution so I started out with the easiest repairs I could think of, starting in all 3 safe modes, last known config, debug mode, etc..
Nothing worked and I had no recovery partition due to my last vista glitch 2 years earlier that created major vista & recovery drive corruption issues & I had to reformat the hard drive with a a vista installation disk.
I Now I have a Vista Business Update disk I bought awhile ago but never installed plus a couple other OEM Vista home reinstallation disk. So I was able to boot from the vista biz disk and ran startup repair, no errors. I then
went to system restore, all 3 windows updates were listed with oldest restore point being the the first update installed. So I picked a restore point that was before the 2 window updates in the list and rebooted but when it got to logo screen the same installer config came up 3 of 3, although the other 2 were gone, so I suppose to they do not config in the same order they install. Anyway I went back and tried system restore a couple more times, I believe I got an error one time and the other time it said I already used system restore and could not use it again, these steps are so long ago and Ive gone through so many steps, I kind of forget the sequence here. So then I tried a few other things, I deleted the the faulting update downloads from the software distribution folder but it still try to config and then I did a restored the registry from a backup before the original update, but was unable to get rid of the update. At this point I figured my only option left would be a system repair upgrade to the Vista Business but it wouldn't let me upgrade repair install without being logged in to Windows. It would only take the OEM serial key and do an install but as it started the process, I was worried about losing all my files so I canceled the install before it got to the installating part so I could get help or find the best solution. The next day I was able to get online from another pc and I found all the sp2 update errors that looks just like what I am going through now which is crazy, I dont know how something like this wasnt prevented for future windows updates, this is years later, anyway I found the only possible fix that would not involve reinstallation.The manual deletion of the pending.xml fix(file and registry fixes) and I was finally able to log into windows but there were many problems, microsoft office was trying to reinstall constantly but was displaying permission settings error opening a registry hive, one of the bad updates was an excel update. The system was running very slow, my firewall wasn't working, I ran scannow and came back with corrupt files that were unable to be fixed, there were multiple copies of files and files missing, I fixed a few basic things like reinstalled the firewall and verified the pending.xml was not there and I was going to reboot do a checkdisk and then back everything up and I was leaning towards just biting the bullet and doing the update install of vista business, at least I was going to be able to save my data and documents, I would just have to reinstall my program Let me remind u I have not had even one small problem with my computer in over a year, well after i rebooted the update 3 of 3 was back. So I figure I would have to go delete the pending.xml again but when I try to boot from disk all I am getting is a white cursor with a black screen, now my computer is not even reading the disk, So I tried my other setup disk, 2 windows vista home OEM disk I have an neither one worked, I even tried my windows Xp Pro and a partition boot disk just to see if it reads the disk and everytime it acts like its reading it but after about 20 seconds to 2 minutes it leaves the blinking cursor prompt and goes to loading vista, I can enter bios, I can run all advanced boot options(safe mode, etc) but they all run and then either go to the update config error or some like
the directory service controller just goes to the blackscreenofdeath, so I tried booting with different bios settings according to people experiencing this type of issue, I tried to disable all extra bios items and I tried to reset to system defaults bios settings, Ive tried hard reset- unplugging everything removin battery then holding down power button, Ive removed all extra hardware(usb mouse,etc). Now Ive noticed a new screen coming up during the load right before the windows logo screen a black screen with 1/186 (_0000000_00000 CDF-MS) pops up for 1 second and the only boot option that got any result was the directory service controller. Where I was able to get the checkdisk utility to run and found that same CDF-MS file was coming up as error and checkdisk claimed to fix it, when I run directory service again right after it fixes it, the checkdisk says drive is clean, but it runs very fast, it only takes about 5 seconds to run checkdisk, then if I go back to trying to boot from disk or other login options the error wil come back
and you can loop fixing it and showing its clean. Ive also ran the vista memory testing tool& bios harddrive diagnostics both tools ran with no errors came back with no errors There was one other thing that happened during one of the safe mode attempts, not sure how I got there
but the winload.exe screen opened to were u could manually edit boot options, I wasnt sure why it opened and hit entered and it closed and continued to boot. Im just sick at this point, I work from my pc, my computer was running perfect I had not one little issue then microsoft sends me an update thats destroyed my computer and I spent my entire weekend trying to get this resolve this and it just seems to be getting worse, its just shocking, Ive got a temp laptop for the next 2 days and Im praying that this can be resolv and I hope no
one else has to go through this. Please help the only thing I can think of doing if its even possible is to do some kind of boot repair from a usb key drive(using a memory stik?) fix whatever is causing windows(registry or MBR errors?) and remove the pending.xml files again then I would just do a vista business update as soon as I login.
Please help

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.