Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased a new video card (V6802XA21) from biostar and after installing the card, i was able to hear the computer running but no image would appear on the monitor.

After realizing that the card required 300 watts of power and my power supply only supplies 250 watts max, i decided to replace the new video card with my old one until i could buy a stronger power supply. This is where the real problems begin. I installed my old card back into the agp slot and the computer still displayed no image. I never had problems with my old card before today so I'm afraid the new card may have damaged my computer. I even tried removing the old card and using my onboard video, and my monitor still did not recieve any signal.

I do not understand why the monitor will no longer recieve a signal even after I put the old card back into the computer. If any one has any information on what type of damages an uncompatible video card may do and how I can solve this problem without losing my computer, please, PLEASE let me know.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hmmm that's really odd.

First step is to make sure you plugged the monitor in to the card again and that all the power cables are secure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right, that was my first thought as well. I spent quite a few hours making sure that was not the problem. I even went as far as testing several monitors ... just to see. The monitors were working perfectly until I switched to the new video card. I made sure the monitor cords were securely attatched.

My old card does not have a peripheral power connector so I've checked and double checked to make sure the card was securely placed in the agp slot. But even then, why wouldn't the onboard video work either? (This is my first time using the onboard video port, so perhaps I'm doing something wrong.)

At this point, it doesn't bother me if I never get to use my new card. I just want my computer back. :sigh:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I should also let you know, I had to rearrange the power supply cords when I inserted the new video card so that the cord would reach. After reinstalling my old card without success, I arranged the cords back to their original places to make sure that was not the problem. I double checked to make sure the cords were all securely placed and that no needed cords were unplugged.

To make sure this is not the problem, how can I tell if the computer is successfully booting up rather than just turning on? Should I be hearing something in particular that lets me know that the computer is still operating properly without the image, or is there no way to tell?

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Have you tried resting the CMOS? Look for a small battery on the board, remove it, and leave it out for approx. 30 minutes. After that time has passed you can pop it back in and attempt to boot. I recommend trying with your older card out and JUST using the onboard option.

Worst case scenario: the new card overstrained the 12v rail on the power supply and it's now a dead box. I strongly recommend that you minimize use until the exact problem is ascertained.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just reinserted the CMOS battery after letting it rest for about 50 minutes. I plugged my monitor into the onboard video port and still no image.

If you suspect I may have damaged a power line, do you know of any ways that I can test it?

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
A basic PSU tester can give a basic yes/no answer on that, but a volt meter can tell you exactly how well it's working.

·
Registered
273 Posts
When this happend to me, I reset the CMOS on my mobo and my card, rebooted and plugged in, and it worked fine.

Is it connected through VGA or DV-I?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just tried resetting the CMOS on the motherboard once more, and I still had no success using onboard video.
(The monitor I have uses VGA by the way).

I will try to get my hands on a volt meter first thing tomorrow morning and I will let you know what I observe.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yes, theorectically, but ive never heard of it, more often than not the video card will kill itself.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
for the onboard to work you need to enable it and probably load the driver from the m/b setup cd
upgrading the video card and power supply go hand in hand they are like siamese twins

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The first time, I just removed the CMOS battery, but I tried again this morning changing the jumper to reset, then changing it back which still did not work.

I've spent my entire morning going door to door to several computer repair companies asking for advice. Out of about 10 companies, only 3 still exsisted. (The other 7 were taken over by insurance companies and other small businesses). The first company suggested I fried my motherboard and that I will need to replace it. The second company hooked my power supply (the main line that plugs into the motherboard) to a tester and verified that the power supply still works. He did not check the 12 volt line individually, so I'm not sure if he really helped. The third company would not tell me anything until I payed them $89 first. (I refused).

So now I need some advice. I already plan on purchasing a new power supply so that will rule out one possible problem. I'm not sure if my new video card still works after the incident, but I have a 1 year warranty so I should be okay as far as that goes.

What worries me is purchasing a new motherboard. I've never had to buy a new motherboard before and I'm not really sure what I'm doing. Will I need to switch my processor onto the new board or is it possible to buy a motherboard that already supplies one. If so, what is recommended - switching the processor or buying one attatched? What else will I need to do if a new motherboard is needed? What will I need to look for and how will I know if it's compatible with everything currently on my motherboard?

The last piece of advice is what order I should try replacing parts without damaging anything. Should I install the new power supply along with the possibley damaged video card first? Should I replace the video card first? Is it possible to damage my new parts if I wait to replace the motherboard last?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright, so here's my plan. In the next week, I'm meeting with a few friends who have a little more experience with putting together computers. They're going to help me find a suitable power supply to order and also test my video cards to see if they are still working. When I'm sure that I have a working video card and the new power supply comes in, I'll test my computer again. If it still does not work, I'll order a new motherboard. My last resort will be to hand my computer over to HP who has agreed to repair my computer back to a working state for the "reasonable price" of $200.

I still have a few days before this plan will take effect, so if anyone has any other ideas, feel free to share them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This same sort of thing happened to my RAM.

Take all video cards out and try to boot a couple of times without a vid card (trust me)

Then put the old one in.

I don't know exactly what this does but it worked when a similar problem happened with my RAM this fixed it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey guys, great news! I went over to a friends house to test out my computer. We isolated the hardware and found out that the card only blew out the power supply. The new card runs fine on a stronger power supply so I'll be ordering one tonight.

Thanks for all of your help!

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
by asking it to supply power more than it is capable of supplying
video and psu upgrades go hand in hand
it is a common occurance when people upgrade they seem to forget the power supply

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.