Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new here and I'm a huge rookie with hardware upgrades etc. That said, here's my "problem". I'll explain as good as I can... here it goes:

I will start of with my system specs:
AMD Phenom™ X4 9500 quad-core processor
3 GB DDR2 Dual Channel RAM
500 GB S-ATA harddrive, 8 MB Cache, speed:7200 tpm
NVIDIA® GeForce® 9500 GT / 256 MB DDR3 SDRAM

Past Problem:
In the past, I tried to change my videocard, but the new one didn't fit my rig... that's when I realised that I don't know anything about pc 'modding'. I need help with this. I don't want to make the same mistake twice.

New Problem:
I want to change my Geforce 9500GT with a GeForce 9800GX2.

Concernes:
- Powersupply: The GeForce 9800GX2 uses more than 500 watt. Now, I don't know what my powersupply is right now. Does anyone know what the powerconsumption is of a Geforce 9500GT card?
- Bus-type: The GeForce 9800GX2 uses PCI Express 2.0. I thought I read somewhere that the geforce 9500GT uses this too. I need confirmation on this.

Sollutions:
- Can someone help me with powersupply-thingy... I absolutely don't know anything about that. Where can I find the powersupply capacity that I have know? Where can I find powersuppliers, what sort does a desktop use?
- The Bus-type is okay I think, just need confirmation from one of you guys.
- Are there other things I have to worry about? Please tell me.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
Welcome to tsf. Very organized post.

To find out your psu specs , open up the computer and look at the sticker on the side of the power supply. Then post back here the make and model and wattage. You are correct that you will have to upgrade it to go with a 9800 gx2 because most likely the one you have isn't powerful enough. We will help you find one.

Also , I've never actually heard of a 9500gt. But the 9800 should work in the slot.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply. I opened up the case.

This is my power supply:

The power supply is 400 watt and is model FSP400-60MDN from FSP group inc.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply. I opened up the case.

This is my power supply:

The power supply is 400 watt and is model FSP400-60MDN from Fortron Source

I've been searching the web and found a 800watt (!!!!) power supply. It will most definatly be able to power the Geforce 9800GX2 card. But look at the picture:

The back layout is different on this.
This is the back-layout of my powersupply:

I don't know if I can fit this thing into my pc...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By the way: my motherboard is MSI MS-7501. Will this motherboard support a Geforce 9800 GX2 card??

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256011 I think this one is the best. It's Sli ready (not that I know what that means... I saw the same logo with 'SLi ready' on the video card...) and has modular cables (and I guess that's a good thing :rolleyes:)

Other thing I'm concerned about:Will my motherboard support the GF 9800GX2 ? I'm not realy sure. I think it will. It has PCI express 2.0.
Are there any other features, other than the supply, that I have to have to make this card work??

Another thing: Does this card fit in my case? How big is it? I saw pictures and that thing is huge

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I think I found the card in Belgium...
Is this the GF 9800GX2:

Notice there's an 'e' infront of the geforce. What does that mean?

These are the specs they mension. I've hilighted the specs that I have concernes about. Maybe you guys can check out those hilighted specs. Are these things that I have to take in account when installing this beast on my pc?

Specs:
chipset= NVIDIA
Type= GeForce
Chipset (GPU)= 9800 GX2
GPU kloksnelheid= 600 MHz
Memory= 1024 MB
Memorytype= DDR3
Memory clockspeed= 2000 MHz
Memorybus bandwidth= 256 bit
Cooling= Active
Bus type= PCI Express 2.0
DVI connections 2
NVIDIA SLI Ready= YES

My systemspecs are:
AMD Phenom™ X4 9500 quad-core processor
3 GB DDR2 Dual Channel RAM
500 GB S-ATA harddrive, 8 MB Cache, speed:7200 tpm
NVIDIA® GeForce® 9500 GT / 256 MB DDR3 SDRAM
MSI MS-7501 motherboard

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
According to this chart your board should work. Yours has either the 1.1 or 2.0.

http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/1241374/0

And yes thats a good psu choice and 9800 choice. Expect the card to be a foot long although I think its 11 inches. And other than the psu and motherboard compatibility your system should be set.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
According to this chart your board should work. Yours has either the 1.1 or 2.0.
I'm guessing that it has PCI-express 2.0. Why? Because my current video card needs pci-express 2.0 aswel. So I guess I'm safe...

Thanks to all the repliers! Realy realy appreciate it. I've posted this topic on a lot of help forums, but neither of those forums realy "help". This forum is excellent! Keep up the good work and helping poor pc-idiots like me:rolleyes:
I'll name my geforce 9800 gx2 after you! :pray:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's me again... I realy dont want to buy the card, only to see it doesnt fit my pc. So this is my new concerne, I found this on a website:

--> bezet 2 slots, SLI Support

Does this card realy occupie 2 slots? If I research information on my motherboard, it says that my motherboard has only 1 pci-express 2.0 bus. Is this the same? Will it fit...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I now have 2 choices:
- Club 3D CGNX-9824GX2 NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2
- EVGA GeForce 9800GX2 SSC

I'm thinking of buying the second one, the super superclocked version from EVGA (EVGA GeForce 9800GX2 1GB GDDR3, SSC, PCI-Express 2.0, 2xDVI-I, 675/2100Mhz). This brings alot of heat I suppose + the heat from the new power supply of 850 watt... Will the heat damage my pc?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I only have a case cooling for the Phenom x4 processors... I'll take some pictures of my pc when I get home so you can judge better.
Sorry to bother you this much but I realy need the help...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My pc (both sides):
left side

right side

This my pc (inside):

You can see the powersupply

Here's the videocard (geforce 9500GT) with its fan:

I think I have enough space to insert the geforce 9800GX2.

What do you think of the cooling? It's always quit cold inhere because the winds coming from the north blow straight into this room.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.