Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I bought a video card today. It is a Visiontek ATI Radeon X1300 512mb.

Also shown here:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2467312&CatId=2234

For my knowledge of video cards. You can stick it in and it turns on then you install the driver off the disc it came with.

Well, I installed it and when I turn on the computer nothing showed up. My monitor's power button is an orange color (the color when your computer is in stand-by mode). That is it. Nothing else happens. So I was wondering whats wrong.

I can think of three possible problems with the video card.

1. It is deffective
2. My power supply does not support enough the card, but I think it should at least start and show something just not function at 100% effieciency.
3. I noticed it is a GDDR2 memory type, and my computer does not support this type of memory.

Here are my system specifications:

x2 512 Ram
Dvd+r burner
2.60 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 Processor
300Gb SATA maxtor hard drive
ASUS P4SD-LA Motherboard also known as "stingray"

any other motherboard specs are found here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00022505#c00022505_doc

i think it is possibly number 1 or 3 that is the problem. can anyone help me out? thanks.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Did you plug the monitor into the new video card rather than the onboard VGA connector? Also, did you make sure to plug in the 4 pin peripheral connector to the back of the video card from your PSU?

If that is not it, you may have to disable the onboard video in the BIOS manually. Plug your monitor into the onboard VGA connector. Go into the BIOS and disable the onboard video. Then, save changes and reboot, this time plugging in the VGA connector to your video card. Now it should work.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/troubleshooting-tips-tricks/127620-enter-bios.html

I doubt it is 2 or 3 because the X1300 requires very little power and the GDDR2 RAM on the graphics card has nothing to do with the fact that your motherboard takes 184 pin DDR RAM.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is not the onboard problem. I checked it. Also, one thing I just found out is that the X1300 has from left to right (a long set of gold pins follwed by a short set only 2 sets of gold pins.) While the previous 2 v cards i used sucessfully have 3 short sets of gold pins. I was wondering if this is the problem.

I think the X1300 is AGP 4X and the old v-cards are 8X? =/

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol..no, the box says AGP 8x/4x and it FITs into my agp slot so it shouldn't be an pci-e card..unless pci-e can fit into agp slots =/

·
Registered
84 Posts
Were you using your onboard video prior to getting your new video card?

If you were, you would have to disable it, most of the time, in the presence of a video card, the bios would automatically disable it, if not you would have to do it manually.

Did you connect a DVI cord into your new video card at first? If so, sometimes a signal is not sent to a newly installed video card because you do not have the drivers installed yet. Try connecting a VGA cord to your monitor and to your computer. That way, you shouldn't run into the problem of not getting a signal because you are using a DVI cord.

PCI-e cards cannot fit into AGP slots. They are completely different buses.

·
Registered
399 Posts
lol..no, the box says AGP 8x/4x and it FITs into my agp slot so it shouldn't be an pci-e card..unless pci-e can fit into agp slots =/
what you described is a pci-e card... one long set of pins, one short. heres a link to a pic of an agp card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...X3000+256MB+DDR+AGP+4X/8X+Video+Card+-+Retail
and heres a pic of a pci-e: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...1GB+GDDR3+PCI+Express+x16+Video+Card+-+Retail
i have no idea how you got a pci-e card to fit in an agp slot...

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
he has an agp card thats why it fits the slot
what power supply is in it
hp are not generous with their power supplies wattage when you upgrade anything,it generally means a psu upgrade as well with any brand name built computer

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i know my psu is below the recomended on the box but it should still run, but not at 100% efficiently as far as i know (correct me if im wrong)

i have never used onboard..my computer came with a graphic card and the onboard is blocked by the manufacturer

im not using a dvi im using a VGA to connect from the monitor to the v-card...

and floyd it is that but in reverse long then short not short then long

·
Registered
399 Posts
he has an agp card thats why it fits the slot
what power supply is in it
hp are not generous with their power supplies wattage when you upgrade anything,it generally means a psu upgrade as well with any brand name built computer
read his description of the connectors, its not agp... can you get a picture up of your card?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i got recomended 200 so if i add 30% that would be 60 so for a grand total of 260...my psu supplies 250 max...thats strange..i can see the fan on the v-card spinning just no picture...it doesn't go into windows...when the power is pressed you can here the something spinning to start up the computer and it stays there it doesn't quiet down like it usually does..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i doubt its the psu though...i'll pick up a psu later,any other suggestions before go back to the store?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.