Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally I can fix almost any computer problem without even trying. This one is a challenge that I have not encountered and cannot figure out. very basic problem is that it does not seem to like xp. it will run 98 just fine, it will run various distros of linux just fine. when I try installing xp (various editions and service packs), it will not boot into them. not a single one. mobo, processer, ram, video all work fine independantly, and together. tried various hd's. tried setting all parts of bios to all sorts of different configs (about 8 hours of changing 1 setting at a time) none of which have worked. I have spent approx 200 hours on this evil thing and nothing will work. should i call in a preist and have him administer last rights? when it about 5 seconds past the windows screen with the scrolling bar, it shuts down. it is not overclocked and runs at a nice 33c temp. (when loading, it jumps to about 35c) when running 98 and linux distros, and when loading xp, it goes to 35c and then does the whole shutdown. any advice, recommendations, solutions, answers, demonologists, knowledge, etc...would be extremely appreciated. TIA

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I had a similar situation happen on a XP box that was built for 98. Every time I would insert a NIC card it would do the same as you described where it would not load past the scrolling bar. Without the card it worked fine. The event viewer said that it was trying to read / write to an illegal space in the BIOS or something like that.

Try for a BIOS update or try removing any expansion cards and see if that helps.

BMR777

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.