Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going onto an 512 ADSL connection plan and i am expecting at any time now, a delivery of my new Modem and a line filter, everything comes pre configued to make it less confusing to me, as i have never had ADSL before and i took notice of the good advise that was given to me on this forum a few weeks back.
I am just making sure that i am doing it all right, i have 4 phone outlets and i only bought the one filter because i believe i can put it behind the phone splitter to save extra costs of having to buy a filter for every phone in the house, now if i am right up to date, is it a simple job of putting the filter behind the phone splitter which i have easy access too[its up in the roof of a new house ] or will it require an experienced person ?
I have cut/added/rejioned a few phone connections in the past, is it as simple as that? i'm just making sure i am doing the right thing before i attempt to do it, and perhaps bugger things up,just to save a few bucks.
I have not even seen what a filter looks like yet.
thanks for any advise,
Tuby

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi all,
I have recieved the ADSL modem and 1 line filter, but not hooked up yet to the server but it won't be long, so i would like to know what i am doing properly before i get up in the roof.
There is no info/ diagram about putting the line filter behind the phone splitter as expected for obvious reasons, it only says of course about putting it between the pc and wall connection.
The line filter has printed on it Phone & Line ends, so i am guessing the phone end would go directly behind the phone splitter and the line end furthest away form the phone splitter ????
Could i put the line filter in before i am actually configured and set up with the ISP ???? would it make any differance ????
Like most things it easy when you know how,and so far the set up looks easy but i am not sure about the line filter, can somebody help please ?
Thanks,
Tuby

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Got up in the roof and found that there was no phone splitter, looks like the electician has just joined all wires together to save his costs when installing it.
Tried to get him back but he refuses to come back insisting that he done a good job, but he will however come back if i agree to give him just about half my pension just for an appearance without including any parts that might be needed, great, i am not well enough to continue down that path.
So that leaves me with no option but to buy another 3 line filters, but only trouble is that 1 phone is mounted on the wall, how in the heck can i put a line filter there,what a mess, i wish i never had thought about the ADSL connection now, its turned out to be one great big nightmare.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
where the line originates into the house,[telstra slapped mine on the kitchen wall]
take those wires from the plug and put them into the central splitter marked in
then connect a piece of cable from the out to the phone socket where you removed the cable in the first place

·
Citizen of the world
51,047 Posts
You need to install the splitter yourself, the normal way to install phone service is to connect all of them together.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Guys for the info',
Its all fixed up now, i wouldn't have had a clue without your help, can't thank you enough.
i wish you both a great day,
Tuby

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.