Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok Here is my deal. If there is anyone out there who can help me that would be great.
I have just purchased an ABIT KD7A motherboard w/Athalon 2600 XP. I'm using DDR 400 speed 512MB Ram and a Chaintech Geforce FX 5200 8X AGP card.
I bought the Case, power supply, motherboard, processor, and floppy drive from a company that would assemble everything I bought from them.
I added my components and within 3-4 seconds of turning on the system I get an alarm from the system speaker. It's a lower pitched long tone followed by a higher pitched long tone. I see the case fans, processor fan, and video card fan all spin and then they shut off when the tones start. The alarm continues until I turn the power supply off.

Here's what I have done so far to troubleshoot:

Tested the power supply in another system (works)
Tested a different power supply in my system (doesn't work)
Tested my video card in another system (works)
Tested another video card in my system (doesn't work)
Pulled the ram and the video card (alarm doesn't change)
Pulled just the ram, not the video card (alarm doesn't change)
Pulled just the video card, not the ram (tone doesn't change)
pulled motherboard set on a phonebook and powered on system(alarm doesn't change)-checking for shorts
Put the computer in bed with me and cuddled (alarm doesn't change)
The only thing I have left to do is try the ram in another system but I haven't found one that is compatible with mine. And I haven't found anyone yet with ram that is compatible with mine.
I am at your mercy,
Brandon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jerk off's at company

So I got a little ballsy and watched AMD's movies about Processor installation and heat sink installation. So I took the heatsink off and low and behold I found that the jokers at the company I bought it from assembled my processor and heatsink using a thermal pad and left the plastic backing on it. What a crock!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Son of a gun

So I went out and purchased thermal tape and replaced it. I've still got nothing. Any thoughts out there?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Re: Jerk off's at company

brdukes said:
So I got a little ballsy and watched AMD's movies about Processor installation and heat sink installation. So I took the heatsink off and low and behold I found that the jokers at the company I bought it from assembled my processor and heatsink using a thermal pad and left the plastic backing on it. What a crock!
By leaving that plastic on they didn't fry the CPU did they? Also I would stay away from that thermal tape. Once the thermal tape heats up it sticks like glue, and it’s hard to get the CPU off the heat sink without damaging the CPU. I would suggest buying thermal paste from some place like Antec. Antec IMHO makes the best thermal paste out there. Thermal paste unlike thermal tape allows you to separate the CPU from the heat sink as often as you like. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called the company's tech support again. They issued a RMA on it and I sent it back. As soon as I get my working computer back I am contacting my lawyer to handle my demands for satisfaction. I had to pay for shipping back to them, and they still owe me $18 for a price difference in the case I ordered and the one that shows on the invoice. I imagine the CPU got fried but who knows. Also, straight from the horses mouth they said to use the tape unless you are constantly removing the heat sink. And only use the paste in testing situations. But that's a good point you make about the CPU getting stuck to the heatsink.

Oh well it's going to be handled by my lawyer. Thank God for PrePaid Legal

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'd like to know the name of this company so I could avoid them. However, your lawyer would advise you to not discuss names or the other details while the matter is in litigation.

Wishing you luck on a well-operating, new system...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.