Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to get by without yelling for help, but I have run out of ideas.

I have successfully installed the following and re-booted to the BIOS after each addition:

Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Asus A8V-E SE
2 GB Corsair memory
Asus 7800 GTX PCI Express video card
Asus CD ROM drive
Asus CD-RW drive
3 1/2 floppy drive
Western Digital 200GB SATA HDD
and
my old Seagate 30GB ATA66 HDD

I have been successful in reaching the BIOS setup screen MANY times. My BIOS has detected all of the above hardware.

That is as far as it goes for now.

I ran the sysprep program on my old drive before removing it from the old Dell.

I have been trying to bring up Windows XP in all possible ways. Keep in mind I had XP w/ SP2 on the old drive. I try to boot up from the hard drive and go nowhere. I try to boot from the Windows installation CD and get the option to continue with the started installation, or to begin a whole new installation. Both result in failure. I have tried with both HDDs installed, the ATA66 in IDE primary position ( BIOS sees it as Master IDE) and the new SATA in primary SATA position (BOIS sees it as Master SATA). I have also tried with the HDDS one at a time. The result is always the same as follows:

Windows goes through the installation process with drivers, etc.,then says "Starting Windows". I get a nasty blue screen that basically says "initialization failed", a problem was detected and Windows has shut down. It goes on to say to make sure the hardware and software is properly installed and to contact manufacturers for Windows updates. It also says to disable BIOS options like caching and shadowing (I find no reference to these in my Phoenix BIOS). It also gives me the option to restart in safe mode, but the machine can't run windows to use safe mode.

I occasionally get a fast glimpse of the first Windows screen with the Win logo and the little moving dots, but only for a fraction of a second before it gives me the blue screen.

If you can help me get Windows running I might whip this thing.

Thank you
Chuck

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to add - If I try to boot into Windows without the CD I get a black screen that says " NTLDR is missing"

Chk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi! Are you trying to transfer your old HD to your new system? I think that is not possible unless try repairing the OS installed on the old HD using the WinXP CD during the bootup.

Have you tried installing a new copy of OS on your SATA HD to see if you can install it without any problem?

Btw, it is better if you have a clean install of the OS than repairing the OS itself on the old HD... :wink:

·
Registered
906 Posts
You cannot take a drive with windows XP and have it work in a system with different hardware. Windows is looking for the old hardware that isnt there. Do a clean install.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used the sysprep program to prepare the old HDD for the new motherboard. When I tried to boot to the mini-setup screen it failed and has been a problem ever since. I guess I screwed up the sysprep routine somehow. I have since decided to just make a new Windows installation, but can't format or partition the old HDD. And I get nowhere with the new HDD, except for being stuck with the 137GB maximum partition. Supposedly I could partition two 100GB sections, but I can't fire up Windows to get to the tools! :cussing:

I am currently stuck with whatever I can do from a boot disk, and that ain't much!

I have tried to do a new Windows install on the new drive, but end up with the same problem. :4-dontkno :4-dontkno :4-dontkno

Chuck

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

you problems arent that bad

first you need to wipe (erase) your drive to get rid of botched OS files that prevent you from accessing the drive !!! / use DBAN > free

second you need to slipstream(intergrate) SP-2 to your Win XP OS disk

to accomplish this you will need a CD-rom burner and a recording program like roxio = easy cd creator or nero

read the post near yours by Lucid / at the every end / I have explained the entire process

good luck / dont hesitate to ask more questions

regards

joe

·
Registered
25,116 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again.

In the interim I discovered part of my problem. The master vs slave was reversed and not allowing proper boot-up. XP is now in the process of loading to the new HDD. :grin:

Will post more later, happily I hope.

Chuck

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WOW!!!!

Up and running!! The whole system works great, even the old HDD.

Most impressive is the speed . Second is how quiet that Gigabyte case is with 7 fans running in it.

Thanks to all for your help and opinions, especially you, Joe. I followed your comments to the letter and it couldn't have worked out any better. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Chuck:

I am happy as heck you got it up and run / and top notch performance too boot !!!

kudos to you / job well done !!!!

we hope you stay in touch / feels good to master the beast doesnt it ???

cheers

joe

·
Registered
52 Posts
whew! What a relief hehehe. Good thing you are able to resolve the problem... cheers! :grin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.