Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Swapped out new mobo,new P4 processor, and installing new Maxtor 120GB ATA HD into my old system to make a new system. All else will transfer from old system. Made the swap today , powered up. Memory checked ok and BIOS recognizes HD, CD-ROM, floppy, etc. All hardware seems OK so far. Now the software. I want to format and partitiion the Maxtor drive into three approximately 40GB partitions, and install Windows XP Home on the first partition. I am not real sure how to go about doing this. What would be some solid tips , suggestions , or other things I would need to know to accomplish this install? Thanks for your help and input.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
When you install XP from a full install, you can create multiple partitions. Formatting the drive will erace all data. Format and then delete any partitions currently on the drive. You can do this from within the Windows XP installer. Once all partitions are deleted and all data is gone, make a new partition from the unpartitioned space, and choose how big you want it. Repeat for the number of partitions you want. Then once you have 3 partitions choose which one to install XP on.

If you want to install another OS such as 2000, just choose a different partition, and don't format and delete the partition because you already did thah.

Hope it helps
BMR777

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ask this as I really have no idea. I just got around to reading the material that came with the NEW unformatted, un-partitioned HD. Would it be better to use the Maxtor MaxBlaster CD or the Win XP CD to format, etc? :4-dontkno

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.