Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Nice find! :smile:

Do you know if this would conflict with any about:config tweaks, or would it just override them?

Also, if I install it into an existing profile rather than creating a new one for testing purposes, would uninstalling it revert to the previous settings?

I'm asking because my Firefox is setup perfectly at the moment, but I'm always looking for safe ways to improve it. :wink:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about late reply, been getting over a birthday hangover!
koala said:
Nice find! :smile:

Do you know if this would conflict with any about:config tweaks, or would it just override them?
It'll rewrite the new values in your about:config preferences so it won't do anything you can't change back Paul.

Also, if I install it into an existing profile rather than creating a new one for testing purposes, would uninstalling it revert to the previous settings?
I would imagine it would leave it's own preferences as well as changing the values in the pipelining for example, but you can remove them manually by finding any reference to the extension in about:config and right clicking any bold text and selecting 'Reset'. If you do that to all bold text relating to the extension, when you close and reopen Firefox all trace of it will be gone. Then you could check out the pipelining values and change back if necessary. Or you could remove the extensions preferences from the user:prefs file in your Profile folder.

I'm asking because my Firefox is setup perfectly at the moment, but I'm always looking for safe ways to improve it. :wink:
Obviously if you have it running sweet make sure you know your existing settings to restore them if necessary.

The higher the level of tweak you select will increase the load to web servers so for the meantime I've got mine set on Optimised and I do find it quicker than the Tweak Network extension (which basically uses the well known tweak settings), but having said that, I still like that extension.

Now I'm back on here with an almost clear head I'll try out the Turbo Tweak later!

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Thanks for the info.

You know you're getting older when the hangover lasts more than 2 days! :laugh:
Happy Birthday... sounds like you had a good one.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just read this thread from The Extensions Mirror regarding FasterFox.

Contains some relevant issues regarding the extension itself and a very prompt response from the author.

It also contains the latest version following bug fixes, (0.7.0) at the time of writing anyway.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That so cool my speed really fast right now heh good for me to do research :tongue: .Hey i was wondering where the fast reply button are :4-dontkno

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
Daniel89 the Quick reply button is along side of the Edit and Quote buttons in the previous post

·
Registered
327 Posts
I feel a bit of reserve about Fasterfox. It relies on is prefetching pages and images in the background from links that a user hasn't actually clicked on, so if a link in a displayed web page is clicked, the page loads quickly because it's held in cache. This being the case, just think of what happens on a pageful of links such as Google. Lots of info being downloaded that might not even be glanced at. Maybe it's worth reading the User Comments below the 'Install' link on the Fasterfox download page. There is good a cross section of opinions. Click the 'Read all opinions' link and read on. The majority say the extension is great but there a fair number of negative posts, some urging caution.

https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&id=1269

If you take away the prefetch feature, Fasterfox is not too much different to the tweaks that have been debated for a while on various forums. There seems to be just as many people saying that tweaks make no difference as those who say they do.

This 'Mozilla man's' comments bear alot of weight for me. For the reasons he gives, I don't tweak Firefox's settings.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice informative post martt.

I too have gone off these alleged speed tweaks as per Fasterfox et al. I don't want the prefetch capability exactly for the reasons explained in martt's links.

I do however keep the Tweak Network extension in all my Profiles because it offers the ability to toggle between default and Power settings. It basically resets the preferences in about:config to whatever mode you want to browse in. If pages are handling the pipelining - fine, if not toggle to default, 2 seconds, problem solved!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Tweak Network looks a good extension. I have tried one or two tweaks in the past but couldn't decide if they were making a difference or not. I think sometimes the speed of the Internet at the time they are tried can make a difference. I'm on cable (NTL) and the speed pages load can depend on the time of day I'm browsing. Like Asa Dotzler says, these things can work OK. If the tweaks can be easily reversed it doesn't hurt to try them. Maybe I'll give Tweak Network a try.

Thanks

martt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.