Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal: I bought new logitech z4 speakers, set them up and when I turned on my computer I'm getting no sound at all. I went to logitech's website, found nothing that needed to be installed. I made sure my soundcard's driver was up to date, and it is. Thanks in advance if you guys can help me out, this is pissing me off.

Soundcard: SoundMax Digital Audio

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home
OS Service Pack Service Pack 3

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4 640, 3200 MHz
Motherboard Name Dell Dimension 8400
Motherboard Chipset Intel Alderwood i925XE

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Intel 82801FB ICH6 - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-1]

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Plug in your headphones to make sure nothing is wrong with the sound card.

After that, try plugging your speakers into every port of your sound card just to be sure it's not plugged into the wrong one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I hope a USB headset will workout OK as headphones, I switched over to the headset on audio properties and could hear sound fine.

I also plugged in the jack into all the ports, the only thing I got was a buzzing sound when the jack was halfway in a port.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Back to the headphones, plug them into each one of the ports of the sound card. If you get no sound, then the problem lies with the sound card and/or windows xp.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
From what I understand, the sound card on the dell 8400 is located on the motherboard. If I wanted to get a new one where would I install it? In one of the open slots on the bottom?

You guys have any recommendations on good soundcards? I guess they have USB ones now.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
If you don't want to troubleshoot, I understand but...

Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing sound drivers?

Any ? in Device Manager?

For a new soundcard, it depends on whether you want to open up your computer or not. You will have better performance from a card that you place inside your computer, rather than a usb one, although Asus and Creative make a good one. Price is about the same as an internal one though. The little thumb drive looking ones are OK but don't expect much from them, they are really meant for people with laptops that have problems with their onboard.

Lately I have been recommending the Diamond Xtremesound for a cheap alternative to onboard audio: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829111003

Pauldo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.