Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello
I have an advent t9400 ( os xp, 3.4ghxz ht, 5700le 1 gb ram)with a realtek AC'97 audio sound card ( i think its on board.)
It is pretty rubbish and causes problems with my microphone and also on my dads flightsim it often doesnt work.
I am going to buy another one but know nothing about sound cards. I dont need anything too fancy.
Costs aroun £20 - 35
I found a Sound Blaster PCI 128 Sound Card for £22
Is that a good card comapred to the one I have at the moment , or which would you recomend ?
I primarily want to use it for games and while playing game sbe able to use voice communication

Thanks in Advance
DOUG

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Creative (who make SoundBlaster cards) have a very good reputation. There are better cards available with features you probably won't need, but if it's only for games and general use, it will give much better results than your onboard AC97.

Make sure you've got a spare PCI slot before buying the card, and uninstall the onboard drivers before installing the new ones.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks
i have a pci slot free
but what would you recomend as an alternative, thats better . ?
( ites especially got to work well with my dads fs2004)
how does the 7.1 creative sound blaster compare

sorry for being ignorant but i really have 0 clue about sound cards as ive never really had a need to get a new one and ive looked on the internet but cant seem to find an answer.

your help is really apreciated
thanks
DOUG

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Costs about the same. You can order online in the UK for as little as £16
http://shopping.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/ss_creative_7.1_soundblaster_live_24bit.html

The sound quality will only be better than the PCI-128 if you are using 7.1 speakers (I think). Both cards are adequate for your needs.

I use a SB PCI-128 myself. Excellent sound quality for music editing and games (including MS Flight Sim).

Hang on for some more replies if you want any more recommendations.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TSF seem to be right most times so i think il lget the one you have pci 128

i had a sound blaster card in my first pc and it was really good.
Thanks alot

Regardes
DOUG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.