Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone,

ive installed and formatted a new 260gb IDE Hdd as a slave and when i try to access the files on it windows explorer crashes within a metter of moments.

Jumpers are correctly on, not using cable select or anything. Using 40 IDE cables.

the drive is on the same ribbon as the master drive, with the middle of the cable plugging into my motherboard.

Not sure what motherboard it is, got Win XP sp2, loads of memory, and I have no problems if I disable and unplug the drive and reboot my pc as if I never bought the drive...

any ideas? Im reasonably inexperienced in these things but was confident enough to attempt it and succeed (ie i think its a software thing...)

help!

Insanity99

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Why a 40pin cable? Think you mean 80. Make sure ide cable is
installed properly, #1 pin pointing to the red power lead..
Double check jumper settings, with some drives you have to set
jumpers on the primary drive differently, then if your running a master
with a slave drive.
You would think that the master is set to master and thats it.
But with western digital there is a jumper setting for master with
slave.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Manic,

no its a 40pin cable, i have a dvd drive connected via a 80pin and so the two cables are clearly different and correctly plugged in. Have double checked jumpers also.

Funnily enough however, explorer crashes when I open a particular folder with many subfolders in...so I split up the folder so that the files were spread and not all in one folder. this problem did not exist before installing the 250gb drive and did not occur when discconecting the drive to re-check everything. It seems fine now though Im a little concerned whats going to happen as my collection of files grows...

Also interestingly, my bios recognises the drive as 135gb and xp recognises it as 250gb!! I havent got more than 60gb data on the drive yet so will wait to see if anything happens as I approach 135gb! needless to say I am backing everything up!

Thanks for your help Manic...you and I being Insanity should get on just fine! lol

Insanity99

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.