Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I apologize if this should go somewhere else. I need some kind help from people who know. I'm setting up a new build and I just would like to know the best process to go through. I have everything built and need to get it running with WinXP. Here's the system:

Asus A8N-sli Premium
AMD 64 4200+ X2
1 GB OCZ ddr433 pc 3500 gold gamer ed. (2 x 512mb)
XFX 7800 GT
WD 74GB Raptor (for OS and programs)
2 x WD 160 GB IDE (from old system, but reformatted)
NEC DVD burner
old Yamaha CD burner
Mitsumi 7-in-1 floppy/card reader
PC Power and Cooling 510W sli psu
Creative Audigy Z2 Gamer Ed.

So if someone would be really kind to help me, what do I do after the first time I turn the power on? I know it's a newbie question but I just want to make sure I do it right. Getting the right drivers, loading windows, bios setup, etc. I got the processor and mobo from Monarch as a combo so I think they updated the BIOS to make sure it runs, but I'm not sure. Where does it say what BIOS version I have? I would appreciate any help. I would also like to setup the 2 IDE HD's in a Raid 1 setup.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Have you powered up yet? The first thing to do is see if it posts.
Go into the bios and make sure it recognizes all your hardware correctly. You do not need to change anything right away just make sure everything is seen.

Then if all is well use the CD to load windows. Which version of windows are you using? I am not real up on the Raid setup but I think you can do that after loading windows.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't powered it up yet. I'm waiting on the power supply, it should be here tomorrow.
WinXP Pro SP2 is the OS. I've read someplace else to load the Raid Drivers before windows. But I was wondering if other people have setup other systems with similar parts (particularly the mobo) and what tips for getting it to all run properly. Like the NVidia drivers. Do I need to update that? 6.66 I've heard about.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
XP asks you during it's (blue screen) startup process of the installer to press F3 (or F8 see at bottom of display) for any RAID drivers.
But as you said you want to install the OS on a different hdd, leave the RAID stuff alone for the first install and take your time afterwards to take care of that.

Concerning the Nvidia - if you are talking 'bout the grafic card drivers, google for "forceware" which is the up to date geforce driver set.
If you mean the mobo nvidia chipset I'd recommend to visit the asus website after installing (and running XP Antispy as well as installing and running a virus scan app & firewall) and check for drivers for your specific mobo.

The Bios version is shown on the first boot up screen where you can see the memory check counting up. Have a look at the top left of your screen. The line says "Bios XXX (version number) and some gibberish"

Be careful when you should decide to update(flash) your bios. Take every caution and step possible.
I just shot my bios into the nirvana with that... froze itself during flashing process....

Ok dude... Hope that helps a bit!

Take care everybody!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I got everything up and running smoothly except the PATA Raid 1 setup that I want. The Nvidia (or Nvraid) Raid Controller would not load in windows. It kept saying that the hardware had a problem installing and that it wouldn't function properly. In the device manager I would try to reinstall the drivers for it but it would search for them and never find them even though I had them on a floppy and everything. The only thing I can think of is that there are 2 Nvidia raid controllers, 1 for SATA and 1 for PATA, but the only way I could get the SATA Raptor drive to be recognized by windows was to load the SATA drivers during the Windows install. So I don't know. The Bios recognized the Raid 1 setup perfectly but Windows wouldn't.

Also, how do you disable the Spread Spectrum on the Asus A8N-sli Premium? I can't find anything on it. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Just a simple question on the Sata Raid. Did you remember to use the Sata Raid ports instead of the standard non-raid Sata ports on this board? Both are available and one is not Raid.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for the clarification, don't know how I missed that, but I did. Well get back later when company leaves and take a look at the original issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.