Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
People,

Setting up my new Dell 8250 tomorrow or the next day; & went out & grabbed a Maxtor 80GB (ATA/133-7200 RPM) to install as a secondary drive (I do a lot of work with digital audio multitracking; & use the 2nd drive for audio data.)

So, I'm reading through the installation guide & the quick start poster; & I realized I'm reading the same seemingly backwards installation sequence I have before...every time I've installed one of these things. No matter who the mfg. is, they always instruct you to configure the BIOS "after" you've installed the drive (& then reboot with the installation software.)

Am I missing something here? Is there some reason one cannot set one's BIOS prior to installing the drive? The only thing we do with the BIOS (relative to hard drive installation) is 1) initiate auto-detect, or 2) reset the boot device order.

Both of these can be accomplished prior to the installation of the drive, right?

I don't get it, especially in light of the way the on-screen setup function key message can go racing right by you if you don't know how to pause it.

Is there a reason I am missing here for this "next-to-last" sequencing?

Thanks in advance,

mark4man

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I always set the BIOS to AUTO for all drives, and I never look at it again, regardless of the configuration changes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Put in the new HDD, then when you boot the machine,
press F2 to go into SETUP, you'll see the prompts in the upper right portion of the screen as its booting, set the drive to AUTO.
Your going to have to format the drive. Make sure your jumper is set properly on both drives. Dell likes Cable Select, but set the main drive to master, slave to slave.

The only problems Ive seen on this is in Dell Knowledgebase
article HO1045429 pertaining to Unknown devices on Dells w/ the Intel 800 series chipsets.

Later, Nova.

·
Registered
9 Posts
After going over the boards, I must apologize for not introducing myself and posting without doing so. (Whata putz)
Im Nova, live in NE Ohio, am a Field Service Analyst/Technician for awhile now. Mostly contract work, and I drive alot.
I find a lot of these boards, really like some of the stuff I read here, so I done joined up.

Actually looking to get more answers than anything, but ifn thar
be anythin ah could do ta hep, lemme know.

Thanks, Nova.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.