2K views 32 replies 7 participants last post by  Done_Fishin 
#1 ·
Specs:
ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition NVIDIA Socket AM2 Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ AM2
Diablotek GeForce 6600VE 512MB PCIe
Raidmax Aurora 580W PSU
PNY Verto 1024MB PC4200 DDR2

When I first booted it up, I got the beep code for a video card error. Video card was seated fine and in the right slot, not sure why I got this error. At this point, I began taking things apart. The thermal tape on the AMD cpu cooler did not want to let go of the processor and actually ripped it out of the socket. Some twisting of the cpu removed it from the cooler, at which point, some of the thermal tape fell on the cpu socket. I was able to remove most of it, but about 6 of the pin holes are still a little gray tinted from the paste. I used a small needle to try to clean these out and a very tiny bit of alcohol. Upon replacing the processor and cooler, then system will not stay on. It comes on for about 3 seconds and shuts off. I have tried powering it on without the processor installed, and the motherboard seems like it is working fine. I'm thinking that I must have ruined the processor when it got yanked out of the socket, or it may be something as simple as needing to apply more thermal paste since a lot of it came off during the battle to remove the processor from the cooler. I have to wait until tomorrow to run out and get more thermal paste, so I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts of what I can do to try and get this thing running or if I'm probably out of luck.

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
the CPU popping out while the lock lever is still in the hold down position is a very common mistake, very seldom does it result in permanent damage.

I would be more concerned with removing any remaining thermal agent from the socket of the motherboard, as the thermal grease could act as an insulator and stop those begins effected from doign their job?

get a magnifying glass and inspect closely, you will need to remove the motherboard from the case to perform the clean-up properly.

You may need to swab some goof-off (paint & adhesive remover found at hardware stores) onto the cpu socket with a Q-tip to disolve the thermal grease, then dry VERY well away any residual solvent with a hair dryer. Another good removal fluid is toluene, or xylene (found at paint stores) you will need a solvent that air dries completely, be very careful these are very flammable but work well!

prior to reinstalling, apply new thermal grease as soon in link above

#6 ·
A couple of the pins got bent just a tiny bit, so i just used my fingernail and bent them back. Didn't seem like a big deal. I cleaned the socket as much as I thought would be sufficient yesterday and let it sit to dry, now I'm going to go pick up some more thermal compound and see what happens. Thank you all for the replies, I'll be back later with the results.

#7 ·
The cleaning I did yesterday did not work. I applied new thermal paste and hooked everything back up and got the same results... powers on for about 3 seconds then shuts off. I took everything apart again and tried cleaning it some more, and I'm going to let it dry tonight. Is there anyway I can try to determine whether the motherboard or processor is going to need to be replaced? Also, it is urgent that I get this thing up and running, so if I was going to order either a new motherboard or a new processor, which one should I order that would be most likely to work with the other part I already have?

#10 ·
There is a group of pins on your motherboard that handle things such as the power button, reset button, case LED, etc. If you have your motherboard manual, it should be in there.

If you setup your motherboard outside of a case, put it on a dry, non conductive surface (i.e. wood, cardboard, glass).

#14 ·
The power on / off circuitry does NOT have anything to do with the CPU ... UNLESS .. as dai said ... the CPU is faulty and drawing too much current in which case the power supply will go into protection mode. Something is causing a short when the CPU is installed, it could be that you managed to mount it incorrectly or that a pin or two might have bent or been broken causing a short, like kodi said.
Double check that no pins are missing from the CPU, That it was mounted correctly, should only fit properly in one position, That you have no paste left anywhere that might be causing a short when you plaec the CPU in the socket. If you can find a way to do so, find someone witha similar CPU to yours and try your CPU on their board , theirs in your Board to see whare the problem might be.

#15 ·
have a close up look at both the motherboard cpu socket and the cpu itself with a magnifing glass. bet you see either bent pins of thermal grease in the socket holes, its impossible to clean the socket good enough while the mobo is in the case!

post back

I will bet bad mobo, cpu's are very tuff compared to other components.

#16 ·
I have checked over and over. There are no bent or missing pins and the CPU fits perfectly into the socket.

I used alcohol before to clean the socket. I let it dry over night each time and used the cold air setting on a hair dryer and used canned air. Is it possible that the motherboard is damaged and not the processor, or that both of them are damaged? I don't have the means at this point to try my parts with someone else's so I'm trying to decide which is the best to order, another CPU or another motherboard to do the testing. The CPU is cheaper than the motherboard was, and I would like to order whichever one is most likely to fix the problem, since I'm not going to be able to return anything once I use it.

#17 ·
well if you need to shoot in the dark, then get a motherboard IMHO

or call around to some PC shops. I personally have often tested the parts for people in the same boat as you, as long as I get to sell them a motherboard or CPU reasonably?

some shops dont know what reasonably means.

I have often tested a combo deal like that for $25.00 too ???????????????

ask around, I think it "should" be worth $25.00 to know which part is dead ??

#18 ·
Thanks. I would gladly pay $25. Someone asked me if I could take it to Best Buy lol where they would charge me $60 and then tell me they don't know if it's the motherboard or cpu because they don't have the means to test them individually. The problem is just finding a shop that has the means to help. We're in Johnson City, TN where it doesn't seem like people are too up on technology lol But I'm gonna make some calls and see what I can find out.

#19 ·
you could RMA the board back to asus, it takes 10 days turn around. If they fidn anything defective they will fix it, if not you will know its your CPU

#20 ·
you could VERY well just have a dead PSU ! Raidmax is a horrible brand unit; seeing as how you had a problem BEFORE you pulled the CPU apart, I think you are laboring your efforts in the wrong isle.

#21 · (Edited)
The problem with this constantly changing technology is that its difficult to keep up with, in respect to having spare test boards & CPU.
The P4 has changed its physical shape several times and because of this the mobo's are constantly changing too! I have a P4 socket 423 CPU that I want to test out but can't find a guranteed working board to check it on. Likewise it sits in an Intel Mobo but I can't find a cheap enough 423 used mobo to try it on. I have found both a mobo and a CPU in different second hand shops, both are looking for around 60 Euros to sell me the bits I am looking for .. I only want and only require ONE! I can't afford both. We're in the same situation. Hopefuly though you're board is newer so you'll have more chance of getting someone to fit your CPU and test it.
If you're able to, use a young lady to flatter her eyelids and play lady in distress to get sympathy and your combo tested. There must be a Knight in shining armour out there who will spend an hour checking out what part went sour when the right presentation is made .. please don't get me wrong I am not implying any more than Damsel in Distress, flatter the eyebrows and plead destitution. Hopefully chivalry isn't completely dead yet!

#22 ·
Haha, I am a young lady, age 20. I haven't found that knight yet... I've been calling local shops for the last little while. I just left a message at "Hillbilly Computer" and before that was on the phone with a guy who, when I said socket AM2, he replied "AM2? You mean AMD? There's a socket A?" lol

Most of the time when I go in person and ask guys technical questions, they stare at me and say, "What?!" because they were expecting me to ask them something stupid like... how can I put floppy disks in here? *pointing to cd drive*

#24 ·
if I had a AM2 board and CPU i would test it for you for free!

but I dont have them in stock, if it were a socket 939 or P4 or any flavor I would have ya covered! :upset:

keep trying. how about local colleges, they are well known to enjoy "showing" their tech prowess

hell in my hometown, the local college hosts free computer building and troubleshooting help.

#25 ·
I've emailed my hardware professor from last year here at East Tennessee State, but he hasn't answered me yet. I also worked for their Information Technology department, so I'm trying to find someone there as well, but everyone's gone for the weekend. I probably won't get anything done til Monday.

What's really sad is, this is my boyfriend's little brother's computer. He got a bunch of money to buy the parts for his 16th birthday and he was going to have to spend $200 to have it put together at a local shop (the same one I just called who had no idea what socket AM2 was). I've been working in computer repair as long as I've been able to work, that's the only job I've ever had and I've built a bunch of computers. So, the boyfriend convinced his parents that I could put it together just as well as any local shop and I wouldn't charge. Yeah... well... now this has happened and they probably HATE me lol

#26 · (Edited)
Something was giving me a gut feeling that I was talking with someone of the opposite gender but I didn't want to put it in writing because if you had been a guy you'd probably have flamed me for it!! I almost did but then erased everything and started over again. One of the shops where I used to get my second hand stuff had a young lass working for them for years .. unfortunately she had left the last time I went visiting. I can appreciate your position though! btw I didn't know what AM2 was either and I reckon I know enough to know I don't know everything!!
About the only advice I can give right now is be patient, I know you're in one hell of a spot where your boyfriend and family are concerned, but until such time as you find a test board and CPU, you really have no other choice.
Do the pins on the CPU look as though they've been damaged to the naked eye ? What about the mobo? Do you think that someone might notice if they got sent back under warranty? It's another possibility although a tad deceitful!

btw I reckon your boyfriend will be suffering more than you ... since he persuaded them to let you do the work. Don't try to defend yourself or wriggle when piut in the spotlight. Find a solution as quickly as you can and prove to them that in spite of things going wrong, you are able to do the work and get yourself out of trouble when things do go sour. Also show them that you don't panic and take control of the situation in a manner that is professional. It may not take away the sting from the situation right now but inthe future it should lead you in good stead. By taking a firm control over this and sorting it out in a professional manner you will stop them from using the situation against you at any time in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.