Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning (evening or afternoon depending on where you are) everyone!

Looks like a great site for tech tips and advice.

I am doing my folks a favor and cleaning up there older computer (they dont have the funds for a new and really only use it surf the web, pay bills, poker etc...).

Well, its a Dell Dimension 3000 with XP SP3 installed. I have installed all drivers and everything seems to be working properly, except for the Network Controller. I have downloaded and installed all of the options successfully at Dells Driver and Downloads area, but to no avail. When I check the "Device Manager", I still have the dreaded "?" mark next to Network Controller. Any suggestions? I really don't want to take this thing anywhere.

Thanks,

brmacdon

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
5,162 Posts
Sounds like you haven't installed the network adapter drivers yet. Click here and select the bottom Intel Drivers link. Download that and install it and that should get you up and running.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you haven't installed the network adapter drivers yet. Click here and select the bottom Intel Drivers link. Download that and install it and that should get you up and running.
Thats what I thought. I have installed that specific driver 3 or 4 times and still nothing. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Huh...just tried reloading the OS to start over with the drivers on a fresh install and now I am getting:

"Windows cannot load the Internet Configuration library (icfgnt.dll). The following error occured: The specific module could not be found."

Ugh!!!!

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,255 Posts
Huh...just tried reloading the OS to start over with the drivers on a fresh install and now I am getting:

"Windows cannot load the Internet Configuration library (icfgnt.dll). The following error occured: The specific module could not be found."

Ugh!!!!
Did you delete the existing partitions and start the installation over fresh?

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,255 Posts
Are you installing from the Dell Reinstalaltion disc? . . it may be dirty or scratched . . try wiping with a clean moist soft cloth and see if it installs

·
TSF - Enthusiast
3,172 Posts
On the older model dells I have seen that some of the drivers listed under the "service pack" search for that computer will not always work
I have had a 2800 that I swear I could not get the drivers for audio installed on it
I looked through other models and finally one of them happened to work
maybe look for other models which are closer to your model for ex: 3100 etc to see if any of their drivers work with ethernet

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.