Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
External monitor access

I am an engineer and travel [ in my Trailblazer ] because of the equipment I need for my work. A lot of my design work can get pretty meticulous so I want to use my 32" Insignia flatscreen for my monitor. I've done this in the past with no problems but when I bought a new HP Pavillion laptop a few years ago, its 17" screen seemed suffice. Well my current project is going to require me to a lot of very busy, meticulous work and knowing this I tried to use my Insignia as I had on my previous HP laptop [ Windows 7 O/S ] I can't get it to work on the new HP laptop [ Vista O/S ]. I'm using a brand new 6' VGA cable and have done everything the same as I had on my old HP laptop, to no avail. I'm convinced it's the Vista O/S that requires an external monitor to be "turned on" [ for lack of something better to call it ]. I've also searched repeatedly through the NVIDIA control panel and albeit it makes numerous references to external monitors, it does not have [ or I can't find ] the magic bullet I'm looking for to fire up my 32" eyesight saver.

I NEED HELP A.S.A.P. P-L-E-A-S-E !!!

le loupgaroux

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am an engineer and travel [ in my Trailblazer ] because of the equipment I need for my work. A lot of my design work can get pretty meticulous so I want to use my 32" Insignia flatscreen for my monitor. I've done this in the past with no problems but when I bought a new HP Pavillion laptop a few years ago, its 17" screen seemed suffice. Well my current project is going to require me to a lot of very busy, meticulous work and knowing this I tried to use my Insignia as I had on my previous HP laptop [ Windows 7 O/S ] I can't get it to work on the new HP laptop [ Vista O/S ]. I'm using a brand new 6' VGA cable and have done everything the same as I had on my old HP laptop, to no avail. I'm convinced it's the Vista O/S that requires an external monitor to be "turned on" [ for lack of something better to call it ]. I've also searched repeatedly through the NVIDIA control panel and albeit it makes numerous references to external monitors, it does not have [ or I can't find ] the magic bullet I'm looking for to fire up my 32" eyesight saver.

I NEED HELP A.S.A.P.
P-L-E-A-S-E !!!
:4-dontkno

·
Decessit
68,881 Posts
Hi can you post the full model number of your hp laptop and did you need to install a driver to use the monitor previously

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not a problem ... It's a HP Pavillion 9600. No I never had to install an additional driver to use the 32" Insignia as a monitor on my previous HP laptop. I REALLY appreciate the time you're setting aside to help me with this problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to try the link you provided. Unfortunately my farm is in Kentucky .... which is where my user manual currently resides .... while I'm engineering a job in North Carolina. I can't express my gratitude for the time you've set aside to get this to work for me. I'll post an outcome, good or bad, after I try it.

Godbless
L

·
Premium Member
19,861 Posts
Re: External monitor access

Setup and use is the same for all of the Windows versions.

Connect the monitor/TV, then power up the PC. Then right click on the desktop to enter Display Properties, goto the Settings tab and you should have two monitors listed. Simply highlight the second monitor and check the "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor".

·
Decessit
68,881 Posts
Please do not make multiple threads on the same issue it can be confusing as to which thread we are working on thank you

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay this H-U-G-E thank you goes first, to JoeTen and second to the others who responded. Yes, the solution JoeTen passed on to me through the link was spot-on. I'm now sending you this while I'm reading it through the enlarged Insignia 32" flatscreen.

To sum it all up in one word - "SWEET"

:pray:

P.S. One thing I'm curious about is, can audio also switched to the flatscreen, or am I pushing my luck wishing for too much?

:wave:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.