Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I updated Avast! and it wanted to reboot; but I noticed I had mou.exe running, and neither recognized that nor could I identify it. So before I rebooted I (a) killed mou.exe (b) deleted mou.exe and (c) deleted another non-recognized file in that directory that also had attributes HS (like mou did.) Upon reboot, everything is normal except that start\run\any.exe doesn't run... the "open with" dialog box appears. Same if I 'open' or 'explore' my hard drive - any executable that I double click or 'open' doesn't run... the "open with" dialog appears.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\shell\open\command now has value
"c:\Documents and Settings\Dane\Local Settings\Application Data\mou.exe" -a "%1" %*

which is certainly wrong, but I'm uncertain what it ought to be. Same for

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command

and a few other similar keys. Recommendations, anyone?

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,378 Posts
Download this file to your desktop of the problem computer.
Change the extension of the file from from .TXT to .REG and Double click the file.
When the box pops up asking which program you want to use to open the file, click Browse, then navigate to your Windows directory and choose regedit.exe.
Select OK to merge the file in your registry.

That will repair the executable file associations, but it doesn't mean all the infections are removed. If you need help removing any additional viruses or Malware, follow these steps to create a post in the Security Center

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,378 Posts
Anytime... The virus changes those keys in your registry to try and prevent you from opening any programs or running something like malware software. It's a pretty easy fix once you have the registry file.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.