Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have installed my spanking new Shuttle AK31 V3.1 ATX Socket A Motherboard AT100 only to find out that my old 168 pin RAM doesn't fit because it needs 184 pin RAM.

So I now have some RAM on order. In the meantime I was under the impression that the computer should POST even without RAM. But it doesn't, it emits a long beep followed by a pause followed by a long beep and so on.

Along with the classic "No Input Signal" hovering up and down on my monitor. Those of you who know me will know that I've had this message before.

Now then the question is is this due to no RAM or is it something else?

Thanx
Mark

S

·
0 Posts
Ya gotta have ram or you will get exactly what you got beeps, beeps and more beeps.
Once you install the ramola shesa gonna worka justa fine..:D

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx Speedo

My RAM arrived this morning and I whacked it in and it booted. Lovely Jubbly. No doubt I will be back soon as I've got to set it all up tonight.

Mark

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NICE

Right, have installed motherboard and components and Windows recognised everything ok and installed drivers for everything ok apart from my new modem.

In the modem instructions it said it should come with a cd rom but it didn't. I've e-mailed ebuyer to tell them this in the meantime is there anywhere I can find this driver from.

Here's the link to the modem: http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=20266

Cheers Guys

Mark

P.S. I'm still having grief with interference when playing avi,divx files but fine when playing mp3,mpeg files.

S

·
0 Posts
Can you give us the name of the manufactuer as the pic on the link is not to clear. :(

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Bugger

Those guys at Ebuyer are no helpat all!!

They have gave me the website for downloading the driver, it is: http://www.pro-nets.com/service.htm#download and the modem is an Ambient (VPI56SPA) Internal Modem.

My O/S is Win 98SE and as you can see there is no driver listed for this model for that O/S so I downloaded the Win ME driver and the driver for the model above it, Ambient (VPI56SP) Internal Modem, as this had drivers for Win 95/98 and the model number is only missing the 'A' at the end.

I tried both of them but Windows still says it cannot find any suitable drivers for this device. I have also tried the modem in another PCI slot and still no joy. Oh and also when Windows detects the modem it says found 'PCI Communication Device' although in the manual for it it says Windows should find 'PCI Serial Device' don't know whether that's relevant or not.

Now what do I do?

Mark

S

·
0 Posts
Take a look here and see if one of these looks like your modem.

See if you can find a model number on there somewhere.:D

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm at work at mo but the top picture looks familiar to mine I think. The model number of the modem is VPI56SPA I saw it on the back of it yesterday when I was looking.

The guys at ebuyer said that Windows Generic driver should work with it as well?

Help!?

Mark

S

·
0 Posts
and try and get a more popular name brand.
Good point DJ.

You can tell by the shuffling process from company to company that this item was probably not a good mover.

If you are going to use dialup a good modem is a must.

I used to really like Zoom modems during the days when you had an ISA port.
I don't have dialup but I still use a Zoom PCI modem for faxing, They have been around a while and it seems like it is still a good product.

I would send it back and just tell them you want something a little more mainstream than a modem that no one supports anymore...:)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the ******* thing working last night. Instead of letting Windows search for suitable drivers I chose to locate them myself and then chose the Modem option.

Then when searching the driver folder it found it and installed it properly.

Question, it said something about some applications only supporting modems through COMM ports 1-4. My one was found in COMM5 but it seems to be working fine so I'll just leave it.

What determines what COMM port it is in - is it related to what PCI slot it is in?

Mark

S

·
0 Posts
I have had them pop up on irq11, It depends on what plug and play deems is available for the device you are installing at the time...:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.