Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I just purchased an ECS P4 motherboard and P4 1.6 processor and installed everything. I went to power up the system and nothing happened at all. the power supply is 300 w so that shouldnt be the problem. I am a little confused by the wiring from the case. the diagram for the board was pretty vague as far as what goes where. I beleive I have all the wiring correctly at that point but still nothing happens........ Any ideas would be appreciated... Thanks....

Brian:upset: :no:

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Does your power supply have the square 4 pin connector? These are required for a P4 motherboard.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,
yes the power supply has the 4 pin connetor however the MB doesnt seem to. Any ideas????

S

·
0 Posts
Check the little switch on the back of the power supply and see if it is set to the correct voltage 110/220 for your area.

Also check in the manual for the location of the wire that comes from the power button on the front of the case to see if it is connected to the proper header. I think it should be labeled PWR, PWRSW or something of that nature...................:D

Also disconnect all of the other wires on this header except this power switch one to start off with.

Could you post the model of your P4 motherboard as some research may be necessary if the previous suggestions don't work. Thank You

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello all,
That is the motherboard I have, I have tried to disconnect everything and just hook up the power switch to the MB and nothing happens at all.I even tried a differnt power supply that I know for certain works from one of my other computers..Thank you all for your ideas and any more ideas would be welcome!!!Thank you

Brian

·
Registered
852 Posts
Darn thing might be fried. I would try re seating everything, use only one memory stick, swap out as much stuff as you can to test- then if it still don't work send it back for a new.

Had a brand new Biostar that didn't work right out of the box. Funny thing was I was attempting to replace a biostar that wouldn't post. Bought an Aopen AK72 and will never use another biostar product.

PS- I'm not usually a fan of Aopen stuff either but AMD needs allot of stable power and this thing has bigger caps than I've seen on even server boards. It is a strong performer and I'm typing from it right now. I bought one for work and it worked so well I bought one for myself.

S

·
0 Posts
Try one stick at a time.

If the fans don't spin up then I sounds like the Mobo might be shot like JAMMAN said...:|

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It seems the motherboard is just toast. I will try to take it back tomorrow. I bought it at a computer show so I am not sure how that'll go....I guess thats what i get for trying to go cheap on this one. I usually use ASUS boards but I thought I would give this a try.Thanks again for all your help Speedo, Jamman, and Bvalkor.You guys have any recommendations on other motherboards That I can go with.....Thanks

S

·
0 Posts
The only thing that I would recommend to you is to look carefully at where the screws go through the motherboard and see if there are any signs that a screw had been tightened in there before.

One last question have you tried to run it out of the case by doing the following?

Disconnect everything off of the motherboard except the CPU, Heatsink and Fan.

Make sure The fan for the CPU is plugged into the right connector.

Take the motherboard out of the case and lay it on a phone book or something non conductive.

Hook up the following items only.

Hook up the wire that comes from the power button on the front of the case to the correct header, See manual.

Hook up the the power supply to the motherboard.

Insert one stick of ram.

Insert the video card all the way.

Hook up the monitor.

Hook up power to computer.

Turn on the monitor.

Turn on computer.

You should have video on the monitor.

This sounds like a lot of work but it narrows down the devices to a few.

Try this and post back with the results, Relax and take your time...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.