Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently tried installing a Trinity 510 S2266 motherboard with a cooling fan and a P1.6 processor. I made sure that the appropriate memory was installed, and attached all of my other stuff (Nvidia 3D-DDR 32 meg video, Netgear FA311?, Soundblaster audio, 32x CDROM, 40 gig Western Digital hard drive, floppy). When I boot up, the system recognizes the peripherals and memory, but I get a warning that the non-replaceable disk has been changed and I should inform the CMOS. The system will then freeze up after about 20 seconds.

What can I do? I just upgraded from an older motherboard using a P350 where everything worked fine. All of the cables were just switched over without changing software.

Thank you,
[email protected]

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forums jmrobke..:D

Go into the bios.

By hitting the Delete key when prompted.

Set all of the drives to auto detect and see how that works..
:winking:

·
Registered
852 Posts
Couldn't have said it better myself, Speedo. If these settings are "user defined" the computer will boot a little faster but not recognise any HD changes. Auto is the way to go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, but it continues

I quickly set the defaults in the bios before the machine locked up and it did eliminate the warning message. When I rebooted it still locked up. I tried rebooting with the cdrom unattached and the process progressed farther than before, actually starting to load windows. After seeing this I checked my power supply. The motherboard needs an ATX 2.01 compatible power source with a minumun of 30A in the 5V wire. My power supply was under that. I bought a new power source that is 2.03 compatible, 400W, with up to 40A in the 5V wire. With this installed the boot up sequence loaded faster with windows beginning to "detect new devices", but it still locked up.

I have run the system with the tower open so all fans are working. Does this mean I have a bad mobo?

Any suggestions would be helpful, and thanks for your prior help.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
yeah try comrade idea...could be all the locking up corrupted something...try a boot disk and re-install the OS. Can you get into safe mode...older motehrboard ?? Is it compatable...try it with the bare minumum..remove sound memory and see how that goes...if it works add the devices on at a time...

·
Registered
852 Posts
I just upgraded from an older motherboard using a P350 where everything worked fine. All of the cables were just switched over without changing software.

Therein lies the problem. When you load an OS it detects dozens of things like DMA controller, motherboard rescourses, interrupt controller, PCI bus, RTC, PCI to PCI bridges, you get the picture?

These are different on all motherboards even by the same manufacturer. There is twice in my life I was able to get win98 to pick up all the new stuff enough to run at all, with several yellow question marks and devices simply not working. Win 2k will crash immediately, linux pukes a hairball, I have never tried XP.

Boot to a floppy, fdisk, remove all partitions, set to boot to cdrom, re-load your OS.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I tried loading Windows 95 after putting in a new motherboard once and all I got was a splash screen with Mr. Gates giving me the finger, and a message telling me to reload the OS or else... :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.