Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, hello everyone!

Okay, my problem:
I recently bought a new motherboard, MSI PM8M3-V, and, which I know was probably dumb, instantly popped it in my PC along with my new power supply and motherboard. Whenever I try to boot my comp, I have the options to press DEL to go to bios and F8 to boot menu... all that stuff, and then instead of booting Windows it comes up with the "Windows didn't boot properly last time..." I can't get anywhere from that. I really want to get my PC up for winter :smile: .
And, I don't have the drivers for the new mobo installed...

Specs:
786 RAM
Radeon x800 Pro AGP
Celeron D 330, 2.66 Ghz
Logisys PS350MA
Windows XP w/ SP2

I bought the mobo off eBay, so I don't have the installation CD. I also lack access to a Windows installation CD (only an eMachines Restore DVD) and a Dell Windows reistall CD, which won't boot.

I'd really love to be able to fix this without putting my old mobo in, as I lack ability to do so and the only other person around who could do it charges a hefty fee...

So, eh, what should I do?
*sorry for my lack of expertise*

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
when you try to boot it is looking for the old m/b,you have to either do a repair install or the recommended clean install
soon as you get it up and running you then run the new m/b's setup disk
the restore disks may be locked to the original h/d
the m/b's drivers can be d/l from their sites d/l section
your best option is to purchase a copy of xp,one of the places is sure to have them on special with vista due out

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Eh... how do you do a repair install without a Windows installation disc? And... would the eMachines Restore DVD do a clean install?

And... I don't have the new mobo's setup disk...

Edit: ty, but would the Restore DVD work?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
can you borrow a friends Win XP Home (assuming your current boot drive has Win XP Home of course)

if you are successful at using your friends CD then if you need install key you will need to use your own key to stay within the MS license.

see the "Win XP Repair Install" in "MY Tools Link" in my sinature / look in the "Procedures" section

you may be able to build yourself a bootable Win XP disk providing you have access to a CD burner and if one of your disks (emachines or dell) have a folder on them named I386

just changing a motherboard doesnt force you to buy a new OS copy; although it may not be a bad idea ????

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I tried that method it works but there is alot of voo-doo needed that they dont discuss

I cant imagine trying to explain all the steps needed :4-dontkno

I know an easier way if your disks have an I386 in them and you have access to a cd burner

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
everything that comes on the motherboard set-up CD can be downloaded from the mobo makers webiste / support & download section

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
which burner software do you use

roxio, nero etc

the motherboard set-up drivers will have to wait until you get booted into windows

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
repair install

not REinstall

read the WIN XP Repair Install in my link below >>>>>>> print it

did you get a bootable windows disk made ?????

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.