Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey guys,

I installed a new motherboard, and new DDR3 memory cards to my computer recently. After I was done, I powered on and I got thhe following error message, followed by a blue scren of death and restart.

"A recent hardware upgrade has caused errors in Vista. To fix them, insert your installation disc and select repair....."

And that's what I did. When I restarted, though, I got the same error message, same blue screen, which disappeared very quickly, and again a restart.

I don't know what to do. Is my operating system incompatible with my new motherboard? The motherboard is MSI P35D3.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130096

And these are the memory cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16820231190

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Check the MSI site to see if your Mobo is compatible with that RAM.
Try using one stick at a time.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I recommend going into the bios and checking your timings and voltage settings. According to the link you provided yours are:

Brand G.SKILL
Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ
Type 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
Tech Spec
Capacity 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Speed DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
Cas Latency 9
Timing 9-9-9-24
Voltage 1.5V

Verify these settings. Also might want to check that memory is seated properly.

Do you have any other sticks installed? Different brands of ram do not play well together.

Have you tried booting with only one stick installed? What power supply are you using?

Please list complete system specs. with manufacturer and model. Power supply is important!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check the MSI site to see if your Mobo is compatible with that RAM.
Here is what it says in the MSI site:

"Support Dual channel DDR3 1066/1333+ memory interface up to 8GB (P35 chipset supports up to DDR3-1066 officially. For DDR3-1333 or higher, manually BIOS adjustment is needed). Due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system configurations may or may not operate smoothly at the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) standard settings (BIOS Default on the motherboard) such as DDR3 voltage, memory speeds and memory timing. Please confirm and adjust your memory setting in the BIOS accordingly for better system stability. "

The memory I installed is DDR3-1333...so I guess I need to adjust my BIOS settings. But the site doesn't explain how I should adjust them...

Another curve on the problem is I just tried booting with Ubuntu startup CD and that didn't cause any problems. If it's a hardware issue, shouldn't it fail for all operating systems?

·
Registered
374 Posts
"If it's a hardware issue, shouldn't it fail for all operating systems? "
Yes it should. Sounds like a chipset driver issue. Were you running raid on your previous board? Your os is compatible, but the drivers installed on it are not. Try running a pe disk like Bart's or Hawke's. Are you able to install chipset drivers from ubuntu cd?

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Yes you need to adjust the RAM setting in the Bios as instructed by the MSI site.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I recommend going into the bios and checking your timings and voltage settings.
Pardon me for sounding ignorant but where can I find these settings in BIOS?

Also might want to check that memory is seated properly.

Check.

Do you have any other sticks installed? Different brands of ram do not play well together.
Nope, same brand.

Have you tried booting with only one stick installed? What power supply are you using?
Yup, I did. My power supply is BFg Tech GS series 450 Watt

http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-BFG-Technologies-BFG-450-Watt-ATX-CPU-Power-Supply

Here is a bad sign though. On the box it says this PPS works with following type of motherboards: PCI Express, AGP and PCI. My motherboard is someting like ATX. Could this be the problem? Why wouldn't a power supply work with ATX motherboards? Doesn't make sense. Same amount of power output, right?

·
Registered
374 Posts
"If it's a hardware issue, shouldn't it fail for all operating systems? "
Yes it should. Sounds like a chipset driver issue. Were you running raid on your previous board? Your os is compatible, but the drivers installed on it are not. Try running a pe disk like Bart's or Hawke's. Are you able to install chipset drivers from ubuntu cd?
Seems to be a lag issue so I will repost. I don't think your power supply is the problem at this point. ATX is the standard form factor and that is why it is not mentioned in psu specs. It is assumed.

Just looked up your psu and you should highly consider upgrading. Though I think this issue is driver related.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like a chipset driver issue. Were you running raid on your previous board?
Not really sure...I just used it as it came out of the box. Didn't do anything major with it -- except for a memory upgrade -- until now.

Your os is compatible, but the drivers installed on it are not. Try running a pe disk like Bart's or Hawke's. Are you able to install chipset drivers from ubuntu cd?
I think so. I can access the internet from Ubuntu. I found Bart's PE disk but it seems like it's not supported for Vista.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

I couldn't find Hawke's PE, though.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
I don't know about the quality of BFG PSU's but it's on the low side for power for your system. It is good,as far as compatibility with the Mobo.
Sorry but I'm not at all familiar with the Bios on a MSI Mobo.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Just looked up your psu and you should highly consider upgrading.

Really? The motherboard manual said it needs a minimum of 400 W so I just bought the 450W to be on the safe side. You're saying I need more power than this?

Though I think this issue is driver related.

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/BIOS/Msi/MSI-P35D3-Platinum-BIOS-13.shtml

From what you said, I guess I need to download and install this. I am going to try another PE that works with Vista:

http://www.optimizingpc.com/miscellaneous/manual_vistape.html

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bart's PE is not supported by Microsoft. Have you tried to boot to it? Did you get an error indicating incompatability?
No, but I saw this on their page:

"Requirements to build:

1. The files from your Windows Installation CD-Rom.
Supported Windows versions are:
* Windows XP Home Edition (must be slip streamed with Service Pack 1 or higher)
* Windows XP Professional (must be slip streamed with Service Pack 1 or higher)
* Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
* Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
* Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
2. PE Builder runs on Windows 2000/XP/2003/BartPE systems.
3. CD/DVD writer if you want to creat a bootable CD/DVD.
"

No mention of Vista.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.