Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting a couple months ago, the old HP CRT monitor I'd had for several years started overheating, to the point where it strongly smelled like it was burning. About a month ago, I replaced it with a new HP w1907 LCD monitor, and now this one seems to be overheating as well. At times I can smell it while sitting at my computer.

I've checked out my computer case to see if the smell was coming from there, but I didn't smell anything unusual. When I put my nose up to the vent behind my monitor, though, I can smell it pretty strongly. I'm not sure how to exactly describe the smell except to say that it smells like it's overheating, but the fact that the smell is there indicates to me that something is wrong.

I'm running it at the native resolution and refresh rate (1440x900 - 60), and I've tried resetting to factory defaults just to make sure it wasn't caused by an increase in brightness or something, but that didn't make a difference. Sleep mode works fine, and I leave my monitor off at night. I haven't had a change in hardware since early this year (I moved at the start of this school year, but I don't see how that might cause a monitor to overheat), so if it's a problem with my video card or motherboard or something, I would think it would've affected my old monitor much sooner, but I'm not sure. (For the record, I'm using a Radeon x800 card).

I would think the odds of replacing an old overheating monitor with a new overheating monitor are pretty slim, but is it likely just a defective monitor? Or could the problem lie elsewhere?

Thanks for reading.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.