Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recieved a new monitor for Christmas. It's a Sceptre X9G-NagaV 19" LCD. It's my first LCD so I don't know what to expect. I am having real problems with DVI. When I am connected with my DVI cable the screen flashes on and off for a while then settles down. When it stops flashing I see horizontal black lines flashing up and down the screen. Also when I'm booting up the first boot screen with my video card info and the boot menu both don't show up. The screen goes blank for them. I don't have the same problems when using the VGA cable, except i get a couple of those black lines on a rare occasion. Is the monitor shot? Do i need a new cable (both the monitor and the video card have DVI-I ports and the cable is DVI-D)? Is my video card damaged? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I have the correct driver for the monitor and an updated driver for my video card (which is a PNY GeForce 6600). Thanks :grin:

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Do you have another DVI video card you can test the monitor with? Did you experience any problems with your old CRT on your video card? Another test could be to try a friends DVI cable, but this is a long shot. One more thing I would try is going through the monitor's settings. There might be some setting like auto-detect and/or auto-align. These settings could be causing the wierd flashing trying to auto configure your screen for you.

Of course, I'd say the monitor might have a problem if none of this works.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
check the refresh rate is set correctly for the new monitor
check you have secured the cable at the monitor and the card

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help guys. I found a post on another site that someone had the same problem. He got a new monitor and that solved the problem. So I'm gonna RMA this one and see what happens when I get my new one. I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By the way I tried changing the refresh rate and it didn't help. The cables were fine and I didn't have another card to test with.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I got the new monitor today and the horizontal lines do not appear. So the monitor is the culprit. Also to get the boot screens to appear I had to connect the VGA cable as well. Does anyone know if this normal for an LCD monitor? I thought that the DVI cable would be enough. It's using a single link DVI-D cable.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
no the monitor usually auto detects which cable you have connected be it digital or annouloge
look in the menu and see if there is a manual setting

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.