Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All, I just recently purchased a EVGA 123-K8-NF47-XX nForce4 SLI 939 Motherboard along with an AMD X2 4800+ processor and evga geforce 7600 512mb pci-e video card. Anyways, i got everything installed yesterday and used the memory out of my old system (2 x 512mb PC2700) modules.

If i put the memory in slots 1 & 3 or 2 & 4(Dual channel) it only sees half of it (512mb). If i put it in 1 & 2 or 3 & 4 the board gives me error "49" which according to the BIOS POST error codes in the manual on the CD "Size Base and Extended Memory Error - Size Base memory from 256k to 640k and extended memory above 1mb."

I tried one stick in every memory slot and then switched to the other stick in every slot and everything worked (both sticks and all 4 channels) so it's not the motherboard or memory. I'm thinking because it's dual channel setup and the memory isn't dual channel, just same speed and size that it's only reading one of the sticks.

I was just wondering if maybe i can ever get that 512 to run or will it only ever run dual channel memory modules. Any help on this situation would be greatly appreciated, i'm going nuts trying to figure it out on my own. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Hi Setak,

Have you tried running the RAM in a single channel configuration? And are they matched pairs of RAM? Many motherboards can be picky about RAM if they are not matched pairs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're not matched pairs they're the same speed and size but not same manufacturer, thats why i wanted to try and run them in single channel but i didn't see an option in my BIOS to enable or disable single/dual channel modes.

I'm beginning to think it's only going to work in dual channel so until i can buy a real dual channel pack of memory 2x1gig (what i want) i'll have to just stick with one of my 512 sticks.

Thanks for the input TheMatt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.