Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced mobo in Gateway desktop last week. Was not a computer weanie before, but definitely earned my propellor on this one. New mobo is VIA KM266 pro from Mercury with Athlon 1600 processor. Is new mobo, but older model as I tried to stay close to what was replaced. Have everything working correctly !!!! except mobo loses hd on cold boot. Have to enter CMOS set-up and hit F3 so it can find HD. Then it restarts and everything is golden. But it will not hold the HD next time I cold boot. Have tried both "Auto" setting and detailed specs.

Any ideas? I've contacted Mercury and haven't received a response.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
when you replaced the motherboard did you replace the IDE cable to the drive with the 80 wire that should have been supplyed with your board?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I did use the new cable supplied with the mobo. And no, the CMOS isn't losing any other settings. It maintains date, time, etc. just fine. Only the mobo.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
What happens if you reset the bios get it seeing the drive and before it can boot turn it back off and wait a few seconds then power it back up?
Also in those old bioses they had a standard and quick boot option try turning off or changing it to normal boot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re-establishing the HD, immediately turning it off and then back on didn't change anything. It still couldn't find the HD. I'll give the quick boot option a try. Thanks.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Try a different Drive channel if it has one. If the problem persists then
try a different drive and cable.

Maybe the bios is bad, try re-flashing the Bios or flash a different version.

If none of the above works then the motherboard is suspect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.