Tech Support banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a big problem that i'm hoping I can get help with.

I recently upgraded my computer's motherboard and RAM and added another internal hard drive.
I also have 2 USB external drives that have been on my computer for a while now. When I started up the upgraded computer the external drive I'll refer to as F since that was the drive letter wouldn't recognize, it was as if it wasn't there at all. I tried different USB ports, power cycling the computer, tried my laptop and none of it worked. It's like the drive was dead. I even tried a Ubuntu live USB to see if it was windows that couldn't detect the drive, but it didn't see it either.

That's all well and good, not a positive result but acceptable. But now it has happened to my other external USB drive. Exactly the same thing, it's as if the drive is dead.

Both of them light up and I can feel them spinning inside the enclosure, but they aren't being recognized by either my desktop or my laptop.

All I really care about at this point is rescuing the data if possible. If I could get the drives to work that would be great, but the data is paramount.

Thank you all very kindly for your time.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team
2,464 Posts
First thing when dealing with new mobo is to unplug all internal drives except the C drive and external HDD's and peripherals. Then after a new mobo and or cpu is installed you have to do a clean install and then install all necessary mobo drivers. Once the system is up and running and stable then attach your peripherals.

Have you done a clean install?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I just kept the windows drive that was on my old computer and re-activated it with Microsoft.

·
Registered
40,774 Posts
Plug your External drives in one at a time and boot into Setup (Bios) go to System Information, that will list all of the drives on your computer. If that drive isn't listed in the Bios, it will not be listed anywhere else either.
Do the drives come with their own power adapter? If not, they probably aren't getting enough power from the USB port to get recognized.
Be sure to plug the USB cable into the Back USB port of the desktop computer and not the front ports which are weaker If it has it's own power adapter, plug it directly into the wall and not thru a power strip as this diminishes the power.
Press the Windows key+X and choose Device Manager. If there is a yellow flag next to a device, Right click it and Uninstall it. Then Right click ANY device and choose Scan For Hardware Changes. If should find the drive, unless the enclosure has failed and needs to be replaced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts