Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my old mobo fried a week ago I just bought an AsRock K7NF2-RAID, the new mobo here works fine except that I can't figure out why my Athlon XP 2800+ CPU refuses to run proberly on it, it outta run 2.0 GHZ but it seems that something goes wrong...
if I set up the FSB on the mobo to run 266MHZ this is the result in BIOS.
CPU host frequency [AUTO]
Actual Frequency [133MHZ] (*12,5 = 1662,5 MHZ)
53C/129F (if I spice it up a notch to [166MHZ] it just refuses to boot until I reset BIOS).

If I set the jumper on the mobo to run 333MHZ FSB this is the result in BIOS.
CPU host frequency [AUTO]
Actual Frequency [166MHZ] (*12,5 = 2075 MHZ)
Then it runs the 2GHZ it's suppose to but only for around 30 sec's then the mobo's safety thingy switches of the computer and refuses to reboot until I reset bios, if I let it run with the same FSB again ofcourse the exact same thing happends.

The old mobo had no problems running it at 2GHZ so I wonder what is wrong? could it be because the "safety thingy" is to sensitive or could it be because I didn't use thermal grease when refitting it onto the new board? I'm not entirely sure wheter to run it at 266MHZ or 333MHZ FSB since I'm not sure which CPU exactly it is, I was told it's an AMD Athlon XP 2800+ Barton but as of what I can see AMD made more than one 2800+ CPU.
On my old mobo I never touched anything besides the core clock because it was set to low, therefore I changed it from 133 - 166MHZ and since then it's been running 2GHZ, see this thread on the subject. (which also includes scrn. shots of the CPU and RAM).

Any help would be very much appreciated...

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
First you must clean and reinstall thermal paste, this could very well be the problem.

When you remove the heatsink get all the numbers and letters on top of the cpu and post them here, we can then look them up to see for sure what cpu you have. We can then direct on how to propery set it up.

Also what speed ram do you have?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm
You will crash and burn without proper thermal grease.

In your posting on the forum that you linked, this whole discussion was based on the premise that you have a 2200 athlon, which of course runs at 266.
Some where along the line the cpu identification changed to you owning a 2800, which is clocked at 333. How did you determine this?
I didn't, "The_OGS" did in his post, I guess he figured it out by looking at some of the screen shots included in my previous post's but actually I'm not sure at all, it did though run as an XP 2800+ for more than two month before the mobo crashed, it never overheated or anything.

Below is the post from "The_OGS"
The_OGS said:
It is an XP2800+ Barton.
It runs 166 x 12.5 = 2083MHz @ 1.65V
Change your FSB jumper to 166MHz and you're in business!
Regards

orig. thread can be found here

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Be it a 2200XP or 2800XP, no CPU will run for without proper cooling. From your original post it would seem that you have a 2800 XP but without thermal paste it will fry very quickly. Be aware that a AMD Athlon will reach critical temps in about 20 seconds. Pull the heatsink/fan, clean the metal top of the CPU and the underside of the heatsink, apply a thin sheen of paste to the top of the CPU and refit the heatsink/fan combo (make sure you keep it level when fitting to ensure even spreading of the paste). Power up and test.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Be it a 2200XP or 2800XP, no CPU will run for without proper cooling. From your original post it would seem that you have a 2800 XP but without thermal paste it will fry very quickly. Be aware that a AMD Athlon will reach critical temps in about 20 seconds. Pull the heatsink/fan, clean the metal top of the CPU and the underside of the heatsink, apply a thin sheen of paste to the top of the CPU and refit the heatsink/fan combo (make sure you keep it level when fitting to ensure even spreading of the paste). Power up and test.
I bought some thermal grease today.. I wen't straight home to try it out, I lifted off the grill and applied it but when I was refitting the grill the screw driver slipped and I wacked it straight down on the board... *geeez* I thought to my self, "what a dumb *** you are", anyway... I crossed my fingers that the tiny mark I made wouldn't have caused any dammage and booted it up only to realize that it was game over, the screen wouldn't even power on, nothing worked, it didn't boot at all... not even a beep when I removed the RAM...!

Really a classic incident eh?

Well.. I am gonna try to deliver it back to the dealer saying it never worked and we'll se what happends, otherwise I'm bound to buy a new mobo once again... :upset:

Thanks for your help so far though, I'm sorry I can't tell you if the thermal grease solved the problem... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Oh dear - that's one of the easiest mistakes to make and one of the hardest to fix. As you now know you must be extremely carefull when using a screwdriver anywhere near a mobo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.