Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I I have bought a new asrock mobo and an athlon xp1900 processor.

I connected everything up installed the xp 1900+ and connected the power supply. At first I got nothing but I moved the FSB to 133. When the PS2_USB_PW1 is set on jumpers 2_3 when I connect the AC power I get a high pitch noise. So I disconnected the AC power and moved the PS2_USB_PW1 jumper to 1_2 then powered on and the power came on fine for about 5 secs then just died. It did this every time you turned on the power but no nothing. If I move the PS2_USB_PW1 jumper back to 1_2 I still get the high pitch noise.

I took the cpu out and there was a samll black patch so I am correct in assuming the cpu has fried.

There are no beeps
Have not tried to clear to cmos
I have a 128mb 133 DIMM and a 256MB 133 DIMM I have tried these both on there own and together.

Cheers

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
If the heatsink was installed properly, the processor shouldn't overheat. At this point, the way I'd try to solve this would be with parts substitution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the heatsink was on correctly. There did not seem much thermal paste though.

Tried just mem, mobo, cpu and vga card still nothing

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Well I'm not an Athlon guy but I'll give it a shot...

You didn't tell us what model mobo you have, so I glanced at the K7S8XE manual for an example. That jumper you are talking about, enables standby power for external devices to use to wake your PC up after it's gone to sleep.

The suspicious thing about this is that the manual I looked at says when you jumper pins 2-3 to select +5VSB ("SB" means "StandBy"), "...it requires 2 Amp and higher standby current provided by power supply." That's 2000ma or more. Now, they wouldn't even mention that unless older supplies don't have this ability. I just went and checked the supply in an old PC here and its label said it has that line (they call it +5VST) but could only supply 50ma! So if I were to hook my supply up to your box, it would be way underpowered, by 40x.

So it sounds to me like your supply simply isn't supplying enough power, or maybe it's gone bad. When you enable the jumper, allowing the mobo to start sucking the standby power lines, you get a whine because the switching power supply is straining to provide the juice. And the fact that, even without this jumper, the power cuts off at about the same time as your CPU should be powering up, also suggests to me the supply is straining, and the CPU load just takes it over the side. 1900 is a pretty new and powerful CPU, is it not?

You might need a new, powerful supply. These mobos appear to use a regular ATX supply.

Also make sure any excess USB devices are disconnected, on initial bringup you shouldn't have much USB attached anyway. USB devices will drain your power --your standby power I guess-- if they get theirs over the USB; inserting a powered USB hub can help with this. And make sure your mouse and keyboard aren't power hogs, usually the current requirement is listed on the back. Like, my keyboard here is 500ma (half an amp) and the mouse 15ma. If they were attached to your system, together they use only about a quarter (515ma) of the 2000ma the manual said your supply must deliver, but still way more than my old 50ma supply could give.

A new supply and removing excess USB devices (if any) are my only ideas on this for now. Hope this helps,

-clintfan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.