Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, ive just upgraded my mobo and cpu from a gigabyte 945gzm-s2 and intel celeron 2.53ghz skt 775 to a gigabyte n650sli-ds4l and intel e6750 core 2 duo skt 775, and am having problems.
i was told that all i had to do was replace these in my tower and install the drivers for my mobo and windows allready installed on my hddrive would run fine. but its not.
these are my immediate problems:
1- pc is running a lot slower now than when it had my old mobo & cpu
2- i have a `safely remove hardware` icon in my tray which when i clicked on it to see what it was, found it to be my hddrive
3- my red hddrive led on front of tower is constantly on
4- free ram xp pro is showin my memory (2gig ddr2) to be running @ about 1530mb, when it was running @ about 1700-1800mb with my old set up

any help will be much appreciated before i :3-smash:
cheers

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
I would recommend a "repair install " to you. When that is done, then reinstall your new chipset drivers and SP2 and it should run fine. Most likely the presence of the old chipset drivers is causing your problems and this should get them out of there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thanks for your reply, ive just tried the michealstevenstech repair method etc, but its exactly the same.
also, i didnt know that it was common for sata hdrives to ask to be removed but surely that couldnt be a correct operation, and im certain i wired the the led wires correctly.
i dont know what to do now. should i just bite the bullet and format and do a clean install of windows, or is there another way?
thanks

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hold on for just a bit until we look at a couple of issues yet before you format.

On those LED wires, did you check the +/- to make sure they are correct?

When you did the repair install, did you load the new chipset drivers again afterwards?

Did you reload SP2 again after the repair install?

Are there any red or yellow marks in the device manager?

Are there any more hard drives of any type presently in that computer?

I don't know that board, so tell me what kind of Sata connections that are available on that board, and which one did you connect to?

Am I to assume that you have a Sata2 hard drive and the motherboard is also Sata2? Or, do you have a Sata1 motherboard and a Sata2 compatible hard drive?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
too late, sorry but i got pissed off with it and formatted.
if you where still wondering, the led wires were connected the right way, and is now lighting up as it should, i did install the drivers again, and im not sure which sata the mobo or hddrive are.
now ive done a clean install of xp it seems to be fine apart from the `Safely remove hardware` icon in my tray again. it only showed up when i installed my chipset drivers again, on this new install.
thanks anyways.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
ignore the part where i typed `it seems to be running fine` - its running REALLY SLOW.

Hold on for just a bit until we look at a couple of issues yet before you format.

On those LED wires, did you check the +/- to make sure they are correct?
yes

When you did the repair install, did you load the new chipset drivers again afterwards?
yes

Did you reload SP2 again after the repair install?
yes

Are there any red or yellow marks in the device manager?
i formatted before checking this

Are there any more hard drives of any type presently in that computer?
no

I don't know that board, so tell me what kind of Sata connections that are available on that board, and which one did you connect to?
i aint got a clue, but there was 4 sata ports on the mobo and i plugged the lead into the first one

Am I to assume that you have a Sata2 hard drive and the motherboard is also Sata2? Or, do you have a Sata1 motherboard and a Sata2 compatible hard drive?
i aint got a clue
further info which might be of assistance to you`s -
ive noticed that my hddrive led is on more than normal, and can hear the hdd doing something, almost constantly. the hdd is about a month old, and not had much use prior to formatting.
the memory ive installed was off my old set-up but only purchased about a month ago. it is 2gig ddr2, and according to free ram xp pro is running ok. (about 1700 - 1800 mb)
cpu-z is saying my cpu is running @ 2.66g, which is correct.
when i look at proccesses on task manager, system idle proccess hardly ever goes below 99%, even when im installing applications,(which also seems to take an eternity for even fairly small apps) but windows is running REALLY slow. (i.e. when ive finished this reply and close this window, if i double click on my computer or my documents for example, it will take ages to show contents.
HELP PLZZZZ :sigh:

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I suspect one of two things

A) a problematic hard drive = go to yoru hard drive manufactuer's website and download their bootable diagnostic utility to verify the condition of the hard drive

B) driver issue / how did the system respond "before" you added the chipset drivers ???? I would clean install again :upset: >>>>> but before you do; wipe the drive with a zero fill eraser program like Darik's Boot n Nuke (free)

then install the OS from scratch >>>>> once the OS is installed, add all the system drivers you need "except" the chipset drivers / then add your service pack updates and hot fixes

at that point make a back-up image with Drive Image XML (free) in case you need to do it again; you can do it the easy way next time :pray::4-dontkno

keep us posted on your progress

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.