Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i just bought a Gigabyte GA-7N400-L and an AMD XP 2600+ switch from some old crappy board lol and an AMD K6-2, Now would i have to format to get it to work?

Im on my old computer now but when i swapped mb's it gives me errors saying it cant find the ntfs.sys and that the board isnt fully ACPI compatable or something along those lines and freezes.

Would re-installing xp fix that?

·
Registered
17 Posts
reformat and reinstall windows xp, i would never try and swap a harddrive out of a much older system to a newer one unless it only had storage files on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh ok i asked some friends who are a bit mroe into computers then i am and they said i probably wouldnt. But i figured sine it was such a drastic change in chipset it wouldnt like it to much

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
would i only have to format my windows partition?

(btw if i dont respond wish me luck lol)

·
Registered
9 Posts
If all that you did was change your hard drive from one system to the other then it is usually best to re-format and re-install anyway. XP on the otherhand wipes out all of your old settings everytime and puts in everything new if it was changed. This used to have to be done in safe mode but not with XP. I do not understand why you are getting a NTFS ERROR if the hard drive that you are referring to is the same hard drive that you are using now. Try putting in your XP Disk and boot to it. When you are asked which OS you are going to boot to put in number 1, then put in your admin password at the next prompt. After that type in FIXMBR to try to repair the Master Boot Record. This will repair any boot problems but it will not repair the NTLDR. You might have to re-install the operating system if nothing else works. When you install XP do not forget to make a partition for your swap files and your programs to help speed up applications.

This can get tricky so I hope that I have not blown you away.:winkgrin:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok im about ready to give up =(

I put in the windows xp cd and it boots up freezes a buncha times when leading Kernal DLL something.

Then i get an error telling me some bad file on d:/

Then i get an error saying Cannot load setupdd.sys could not be loaded error code 4....

anyone know whats going on??

could there be any problems with mb and or proccesor?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also when initially setting up the mb one stick of ram wouldnt work by itself and when i switched the two sticks around it read the ram and startuped up fine. Could any of that be causing errors?

·
Registered
16 Posts
OEM?

If you are using an OEM version of Windows XP, then swapping out a new motherboard & CPU might be causing these issues. OEM version of windows, the ones that come with prebuilt/retail computers, are typically made to work with only the system it was shipped with. If not, I would recommend resinstalling the OS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.