Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a Mac G3 Ibook, 300mhz laptop with 9.2.2. I went to update some files using the updater and when I rebooted, it came to the Open Firmware screen giving me 2 options, mac-boot or shut-down. I do not have the install disc, although I am having one shipped to me, and I have a Mac based Linux OS that I am wanting to install on this machine.

I tried to install the Linux system and it gave an error conduct failed or something. Anyway, How do I format or recover the OS? My ultimate goal is to have a dual boot of OS 9 and Linux, which I have seen before.

Thanks.

·
Macintosh Methodology Wizard - TSF Retired
13,608 Posts
you will need an os cd. but does i still goto the open firmware? if so, chose mac-boot and see if it goes to the desktop. if it seems to hang, then restart, and hold down the shift key. this will dissable all extentions/drivers but the ones needed to just run the computer. if it boots to the desktop then you have a bad extention. if it hangs, then the os is bad, and has to be reinstalled.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried doing that and I couldnt see where I could detach the keyboard. I also tried installing Linux, which I thought would format the hard drive, but after it tries to startup the GUI, it goes back to Open Firmware.

Is there anyway to just erase the HD completely and start over?

·
Banned
866 Posts
I believe that you can do this from the disk utility. I would give you the step-by-step, but I am off to work. Just do a Google search and you should find out how. Also Apple has a great help forum on their website. (Not that this one isn't great)

·
Macintosh Methodology Wizard - TSF Retired
13,608 Posts
well, other than getting it to boot from the os install cd, or pulling the hard drive out of the ibook and using any other computer to format the drive, there isn't much you can do. i have no idea why its stuck in OF. there must be some hardware issue. i have this feeling that there was something either set up in the OF to make it do this, or that the keyboard is bad. i do have a takeapart manual for this ibook, are you up to doing it yourself?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.