Tech Support banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the right forum the let loose this particular cat amongst the pigeons. :)

I current have an Alienware 15 R2 laptop, purchased back in 2015. It has done me great service but is now showing its age in oh-so-many ways (including the battery having died recently). I am looking to replace it, but I am not sure what with. Here is what I am looking for in a replacement lappie, in no particular order:
  • A physically large screen, 1080 and up. The A15R2's 15" screen is great and I wouldn't want to go any smaller. 17" is attractive.
  • Decent (great? stupendous?) graphics card (see below).
  • Large amount of local storage would be nice, but not a deal-breaker - I have several multi-terabytes NAS boxes around the house.
  • Weight/size is not a problem - if I don't need the grunt, I use a "lite" laptop when travelling.
  • Battery life is, again, not really important as the Laptop will spend most of its time on a desk/table near power outlets.
  • Much, much RAM required. Either initially or user-expandable.
  • Ethernet plug and WebCam a must.
  • Must be able to be bought in (and/or shipped to) Australia. You'd be surprised at the number of overseas products we either can't buy or get shipped for a decent price down here.
What will the Laptop be expected to do?
  • email, document editing, watching videos (of course)
  • Video editing and conversion (e.g. into H265/HVEC)
  • 3D printing (slicing mostly, but I am learning to create my own STLs)
  • and - yes - I do play the odd games.
Honestly, I am thinking of buying another Alienware - either an X17, Area-51 or M17 - and maxing out its specs before purchase. On the other hand, if someone has their own idea on what would suit me better, I am all ears.

Cheers!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Having just read If You Are Looking for a New Laptop, Read This First
  1. Budget: Willing to go to circa AU$7,000.
  2. Screen: prefer 17" widescreen.
  3. Brands: Not wedded to any brand, but my current Alienware has done me good service.
  4. Mobility: Weight/size not an issue, ditto with battery life.
  5. Durability: I have cats, so it needs to survive being slept on.
  6. Multitasking: Yes, I would like to be able to start a video conversion and be able to use the laptop for document editing, etc.
  7. Gaming: Some gaming. But definitely not the high-FPS kind. I believe Skyrim or BattleTech (from HRS) might be the latest.
  8. Calculations: Video editing and conversion,3D printing.
  9. Storage: Currently have 1TB of spinning rust on the A15R2. Something similar would be nice; for everything else, there are the NAS boxen.
  10. Optical Media: I have an external optical drive.
  11. Operating System: Windows.
  12. Location: Australia

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,389 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be honest, the Falcons looked quite good (and slightly cheaper, even with the conversion rate), but the fact they are based in the USA makes shipping and dealing with any problems a pain. On the other hand, I could buy the X17 from a local chain (JB Hifi) for the same price as on-line AND get an extra year's warranty thanks to the store's policy.

In the end, the convenience of local service, the extra warranty and the fact I was helping a local business tipped it in the favour of the X17. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts