Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

I bought an ACER laptop from Amazon for my parents (laptop was pre-installed with windows vista home premium). A recovery disc was NOT made.

Laptop stopped working (would not boot up at all) and took to repair guy- he said hard drive was broken and needed replaced. I bought a new hard drive and repair guy installed into laptop and he also installed Vista- however he said he tried to activate vista using the product key from laptop (found on sticker underneath laptop) but it didn't work.

So, now I have working laptop (running vista, and a pop-up balloon asking me to activate vista (9 days left). ACER have been unhelpful so far (I'm waiting for a response from my second email to them). The repair guy says he can stop timer on Vista but this is not what I want.

My goal is to have my parents Laptop, running genuine, activated version of Vista- just like the good old days! (Laptop is out of warranty period). So how can I achieve my goal? Should ACER be able to provide me with Vista disc?

Anyone know anybody who works for ACER? Are there any suggestions as to how to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance
R

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, MVP
34,403 Posts
Hi -

The best course of action is to contact Acer Support and purchase a new set of Vista Recovery discs. I don't know their charge, but the last I looked, other OEMs charged about $30.

What most likely happened with your product key code - the repair shop used a full retail copy of Vista to re-load the system. The Acer OEM Vista copy is the same Vista OS as the retail version, but may contain Acer modifications.
The sad part to me is that the repair shop should have known that an OEM key will not work with a full retail copy.

Also, I would suggest that you contact Microsoft and tell them about the new hard drive and the imop key code.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/PKUInstructions.aspx

When the system does get back up and fully functional with the key code in place - please validate the installation -

www.microsoft.com/genuine

Regards. . . .

jcgriff2

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.