Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got all the components to build an HTPC, but running into a problem that I believe is the mainboard. The items are as follows:

zotac gf9300-k-e
core2duo e8500 (3.16ghz)
Crucial Ballistix sport 4GB (2 x 2GB)
SILVERSTONE NT07-775 90mm CPU Cooler
Sony Optiarc Black 12.7mm Tray Blu-ray COMBO SATA Model BC-5500H-01
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA
Silverstone SG05 case (450W)

With all of these items installed, only about half the time does the computer actually boot up and turn the monitor on. Once it finally does POST, I tried installing windows 7 and eventually XP. But during the first phase of installation while it's setting up the install, it just freezes and wont' finish the process. I've also tried other "known to be working" hard drives and dvd drive to pull them out of the equation. But I end up with the same results each time. I tried booting without hard drive and bluray drive so only things hooked up was processor, ram, cooler, and power swith. And it only comes up about 25% of the time.

Last ditch effort, I installed the new hard drive into another computer and installed windows 7 to it. Then put that hard drive back into the new system and it comes up and says:
"report and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

Any idea what to try next?

·
Networking Team |Tech
4,117 Posts
Hi Creamedpossum,

Take out all of the computer components out of the case and only reseat the bare essentials(PSU, Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and Videocard) again. Turn on your computer and see if your computer is able to boot successfully this time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just did a bench test. Only items installed where proc (with cooling fan), one ram stick (I have 2, but only tried one at a time with same results for each), keyboard, mouse, and monitor. now I'm consistently getting a "ram r/w fail detected." So I guess first step is to find some more ram. What's the chances that both ram chips are bad? or is it more likely the motherboard is having the problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up picking up a gigabyte e350n-usb3 motherboard and both ram chips worked great in this one. Had no problem setting everything up. Now I've got to figure out what to do with this zotac board that is finicky with ram. Just ran across it on there website and they only list 10 different models of ram as compatible with that board.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Good quality RAM is generally compatible with good quality Mobo's.
I always use Crucial for OEM and general use builds.
I would also seriously consider replacing the PSU that was included with the case. Even a general use PC needs a good quality PSU.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.