Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K.. i am a gamer.. i currently have a set off zalman 5.1 headsets.. i only got them for it said 5.1..

now what is the best way to rate headsets is it by Frequency response or some thing els... should i aim for some thing like sennheiser HMD 280 PRO or is there better..??

·
Registered
207 Posts
headphones are a very personal thing...and every set is different. there is really no "best" set of headphones because different people like different sound signatures,,,more on this later.

you should know that, generally speaking, 5.1 or "surround sound" headphones are regarded as gimmicky and are nowhere near the quality as phones from brands like sennheiser, beyerdynamic, akg, audio-technica, etc.

HOWEVER if you are happy with the way they sound and they are comfortable, that is all that matters. i cannot stress that enough. there is a forum i frequent which deals solely with headphones (www.head-fi.org)... the people there suffer HEAVILY from "upgrade-itis". that is to say, they will buy a new set even if they are satisfied with their current pair, just for the sake of curiousity and/or the possibility of better sounding audio. it is a very expensive and addicting hobby... that being said, if you do want do dabble a little, there are a few things we should know:

how much are you willing to spend?

what type of sound signature do you prefer? warm and bassy, bright and detailed, or neutral/balanced?

do you prefer open or closed headphones?

are these strictly for gaming purposes or will you also be using them for portable music purposes?

if you can answer these questions i'll be able to assist in narrowing your selection down.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
3,450 Posts
okay player stole the words form my mouth, there will be very little difference if you get into the specifics.
Personally, as long as they are comfortable (quite a rare case, sadly) and are not crackly or so appalling that you can't understand basic english when listening to them, you may as well stick with what you have.
Though i'm sure there are some audiophiles on here that will disagree with me :grin: .

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how much are you willing to spend? = $400

what type of sound signature do you prefer? warm and bassy, bright and detailed, or neutral/balanced? = balanced

do you prefer open or closed headphones? = closed headphones

are these strictly for gaming purposes or will you also be using them for portable music purposes? = mostly games

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I tell ya what...over a year ago I bought a $10 pair of generic headphones from a local department store and I haven't turned on them yet! The sound quality is amazing, even compared to a $45 pair of Logitech's I tried! That just goes to show that it all depends on your preferences and comfort.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i want to spend 400$ for a set..

·
Registered
207 Posts
IMHO, $400 for a pair of gaming headphones is a bit overkill.

However, based on the information you've given me, the audio-technica ATH-A900 are your best bet. Large soundstage (read: very layered/3-dimensional), very accurate in terms of positioning in FPS, nice balanced sound, closed, extremely comfortable and deceptively light on your head.

The one downside to these phones is that they are HUGE. the diameter of each cup is about the size of a CD, for reference. Also the cord is your standard studio-length at about 3 metres/10 feet. These are the best cans for gaming, hands down. I have their little brother (ATH-A500) and they are fantastic.

The A900's are on sale for $169 at audiocubes.com
The A500's go for $89. It's been said that the A500's are 90% of the quality of the A900's, (but with plastic cups as opposed to aluminum, I believe).

Link to A900

Whichever route you go, you will be happy. These are great phones, and they will last you a long time if you treat them right. (My A500's are just over a year old and still going strong.)

Let us know hat you end up doing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.