Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to upgrade my 13 GB HD to a 40G. I installed one for my friend, so I know how to do it. My question is this....how do I know which interface to use??

One HD I am looking at is EIDE. Another one is UDMA. How do I know which one I can use, or can I use either. I would prefer the EIDE because it is 7200rpm compared to 5400rpm.

Thanks in advance to those who reply.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, which I might be, UDMA is the speed of the connection between the drive and the motherboard/processor, and EIDE is the type of connection it is. Other types being SCSI, USB, etc. So as I understand it it is your choice in drivers, and the speed that your motherboard can handle. That info will be on the box, of in the manual that came with the comp. I hope this helps, and I hope even more that I'm right :)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
JAMMAN said:
5400 and 7200 RPM is a physical property of the drive and cannot be changed, may I add.
Just had to get the last word, didn't you. JAMMAN forgot to mention that the 7200 RPM (Rotations Per Minute) will dramatically increase your seek and access time when dealing with files. So go with whatever one fits your budget, your style, and most importantly your motherboard... there is no sense in buying a UDMA 133 for a board with a max of 66 ( i know you can upgrade, but still)

·
Registered
852 Posts
Don't forget to tell him about using a 80 wire cable if he expcts to achieve 66 or above..............

Sorry. I couldn't resist.:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
For optimimum performance you can go out an purchase a rounded 80 wire cable that will not only look cool, but it will increase airflow in comparison to that flat ribbon cable. I think I'll end this here but very nie JAMMAN.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.