Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a brand new hard drive and install it, set my jumper settings correctly. I power it up and it comes up to the compaq screen then goes to a new work boot. It tried that for a minute, then exits out and goes to non system disk or disk error, please insert and try again.What is the problem?What do I do?

Thanks.

S

·
0 Posts
Are you sure you have the IDE Cable on correctly? Is this hard drive replacing another one?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I finally got the problem fixed, the cables were switched backwards but another problem arose. I used datalife manager to format it and it comes to a blue screen where I insert os cd and it freezes up. OI this is annoying. What do I do?

S

·
0 Posts
OK we need some info here...........:D

First, What brand is the hard drive?

Second, What OS are you trying to install?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a western digital 80 gig 7200 rpm.

I'm trying to install windows xp on it but I also have me and 98 if it's any help.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I believe that a brand new disk has to be formatted before any use (FDISK & FORMAT partitions)

S

·
0 Posts
It all depends on which file system you want to use. If you want to use the FAT32 file system you can go here and download a boot disk or a set of boot disks. Read the instructions on how to use the disk or disks.

·
Registered
376 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got to the point of trying to install windows 98 and after it takes a long time to format it it comes up disk errors, fix them then continue setup.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Run the disk check with the WD Date Lifeguard. It will tell you what errors there are and will attempt to repair them.

S

·
0 Posts
Go here and download the DLG Diagnostic program.

Then insert a new floppy disk in your floppy drive and double click the file you downloaded to create a boot disk with the diagnostics program on it. Then boot to this disk.

·
Registered
1 Posts
new hard drive new motherbord

hi to you all .please can you help .I have a new matherboard K8triton GA-K8NF-9 I have installed seagate ATA internal hard drive size 300 GB barracuda sata with supplied cables direct to my serial ata motherboard connector.I have also tried seagate discwizard with no luck with finding the hard drive .thinking the hard drive was us exchanged the same . all parts in this home duild computer are new thank you for your time in this matter. michael.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.