Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just added a new HDD to my current rig today (1TB Western Digital), but my computer doesn't acknowledge it's there. It's plugged in properly, just like my current HDD, just in the second SATA slot on my computer instead of my first one.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I think you may need to configure it in the BIOS.

Configuring the BIOS

Close your computer case and restart your computer. Your computer may automatically detect your new drive. If your computer does not automatically detect your new drive, follow the steps below.

1. Restart your computer. While the computer restarts, run the system setup program (sometimes called BIOS or CMOS setup). This is usually done by pressing a special key, such as DELETE, ESC, or F1 during the startup process.

2. Within the system setup program, instruct the system to auto detect your new drive.

3. Save the settings and exit the setup program. When your computer restarts, it should recognize your new drive. If your system still doesn't recognize your new drive, see the troubleshooting section on the back of this sheet.

Note: Serial ATA is a new interface type. Some older systems may see the drive and classify it as a SCSI device if you are using a Serial ATA host adapter. This is normal even though this is not a SCSI disc drive. This does not affect drive performance or capacity.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
The bottom line, is the Hard Drive seen in the Bios? If so, then you need to partition and format it before you can "see" it in the My Computer area as a viable drive. This can be done either in Windows or with the hard drive manufacturer's utility. However, if it is not seen, then see if the manufacturer's utility will "see" and use the drive:

Hard Drive Utilities

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Start, Right click my computer, manage, storage, disk management, select the drive you want to format, right click, format and you should be on the way. If this does not work, then take the hard drive diagnostic from the hard disk manufacturer's website and partition and format from there.

Feel free to post back if you have problems.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, when I try to do it through Windows Vista, I got the HDD online, and it says it is Disc 0 and that it is unallocated.

When I tried to install WD's tool for partitioning it and formatting it, it doesn't work since it isn't made for Vista:(

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It doesn't give me the option to format, just disable and properties. It'll let me format my other drive though

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wait a second, I think I figured it out. Instead of clicking on my HDD, I clicked where it showed how big the HDD was, and the option to format was there. It is currently formatting. I'll report back if I have any more problems.

Thanks all:)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New question:

My computer is Compaq Presario SR5505F. It only has 2 SATA ports on the mobo, but now I have 2 HDD and a DVD-ROM Drive that all need SATA ports. Is there a splitter or something I can get so I can use all three at once, or will I have to swap between my TB HDD and my DVD-ROM drive?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.