Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got in on the deal for the Seagate 300GB drive. I am replacing my old 80GB drive that sounds like it is about to fail. It has my operating system on it plus other goodies. I have a maxtor 150GB hard drive as the storage in my computer as well. I have them both hooked to a PCI card with a regular IDE interface not sata in a slot. When I get this new drive how do I replace? How do i put everything that was on the 80GB drive on the new 300GB drive? Is that even possible?

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
put the new drive in and format it and slave the old drive to it,your h/d maker will have utility to ghost the old drive onto the new one

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been told that i should just do a fresh install - But if I do so, I have some programs that I do not have disks for. How do i put those progams on my 150GB drive before I take my 80GB drive away?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Blake:

an option that may work for you is this / you must have SP-2 on your current windows XP operating system ????? do you ???

1) remove the ribbon cable and power plug from your existing SLAVE

2) install the new 300 gig drive as the slave in the place were the other slave was
3) start the computer / make sure the bios recognizes the new drive as the primary slave ????

4) once the old drive boots into windows XP / then right click on my computer/ select manange from the upper part of the drop down menu / then select disk management from the next console that pops up / you should see the new drive in there / right click on the new drive and partition it into either two chunks of 150 or I would prefer 3 chunks of 100 & choose to fomatt them after partitioning DONT USE THE DYNAMIC DISK FEATURE also found with the partitioning & formatting tool

5) download xxclone.com (sign up for a free test drive- 30 days free)
this cloning prog is kindergarten easy / only two windows / the main windows ask you to select the target that will be one of the new 100 gig partitions what ever drive letter you choose from the three partitions / the other choice is select the source drive thats the old drive with OS on it
then click the advanced button in the main console window / put a check mark in the three bootable properties boxes / they are like writeboot.ini write MBR etc >>>> thats it then click start thats all there is to it !!! the prog will make you a bootable copy of your exsiting OS drive onto one of the partitions of the new drive and you can boot from it just by changing your boot order in the bios !!!

6) after that remove the old master drive / install the new big drive in the spot and config of the old drive and restore the other slave to its location / dont forget you must change the jumpers on the big drive to master when you replace the older OS drive ????

then just keep the old drive around for a bootable back-up ?????

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well - I dont have my hard drives on the motherboard - I have them going to an PCI card using IDE cables - I can do the same thing that mentioned thought right?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am sorry I misspoke - I meant that I want to do a fresh install of XP into this drive. I dont want to clone the other one because this hard drive is 4 yrs old and there is no telling what I have. So i have been told just to do a fresh install. But how do I do that? Should i partition just like you said and then do a fresh install of XP? How do i do that exactly?

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
just boot from the xp cd and choose install and it will partion the first partion make it C 30gig and format and install to the c partition
when you are up and running you can use disk management to partion the rest of the disk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK - so just place the new drive in the place where the 80 GB hard drive is. But before I shut down make sure i put the XP Cd in my Cd-rom drive. And then just boot from the CD and the Windows XP installation will automatically partition and install XP on it? Am i getting that right?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Or you could go to Seagate and get disk diskwizard for windows. you put your new drive in start this in windows select new drive, Boot drive keeping old drive, it will patrition, format and copy all the files from your old drive to the new on and make it a bootable drive . then you have to go into the bios and tell it to boot from that drive. I use this as a method of backing up so I always have a bootable drive. :sayyes:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought about that - But I want to do a fresh install and dont want the old harddrive files being cloned on my new harddrive - And the new hard drive came with discwizard. Just in case I have anything bad on this old drive - Want to start fresh...Just wondering how to do that with my controller card setup....

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
blakeas said:
OK - so just place the new drive in the place where the 80 GB hard drive is. But before I shut down make sure i put the XP Cd in my Cd-rom drive. And then just boot from the CD and the Windows XP installation will automatically partition and install XP on it? Am i getting that right?
For a clean install YEP you got it. just make sure it is set to match what the 80 was (master) :sayyes:

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Blake:

By the way VERY smart move on the fresh install / after four years your OS is found to be full of registry entries that are crap & garbage / spyware / framnets of old programs that uninstalled etc / I persoanlly reformat & clean install my OS at least once per year !!

Dai gave you outstanding advice / make a 30 gig partition to install the OS on !! any larger than that just slows down the capabilities of the OS and increases the defrag time !!!

yes / you have correctly understood Dai's instructions / you will need however to modify your boot order to floppy, cd-rom, hard drive in order to boot from the win xp cd ??????

or you may want to try Carlos' method ( i like it) which is dont change your boot order / start your machine with the win xp install disk in it / just before the bios gets done its reporting thing start tapping F8 / tap on the F8 key every second or so until a menu pops up / in that menu you will see either your cd-rom or the bootable OS disk / choose that / it will then check your system and begin the partition process & format process for your new "C" drive

here is a link to describe what you can epect to see in the windows xp partitioning and formatting console / by the way choose NTFS file system !!
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348

regards

joe

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a long list of favorites in my Internet explorer - Instead of manually typing the new URL's in - How do I get all those favorites on the new operating system?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Darn / this question is too easy !! like shooting fish in a barrell :)

open you old OS drive from the desktop / go to ;documents and settings / then open the folder for the user you have been using to make the favorites / the favorites folder will be in there / open the favorites folder there will be all your favorites

now minimize the window you have open

then go to my computer click on your new OS drive / then go to documents and settings / open the same favorites folder / then drop and drag all the contents of the old folder to the new OS folder that it.

now : if you cant access both drives at the same time (i dont know you current set-up ???? are you using you old OS drive for a slave ????)
you can drop and drag your old favorites to a floppy disk or cd-rom disk and then put them into the favorites folder of your new OS drive

here is what it should look like / this is my favorites folder from "C" drive open on right while "D" drive my favorites is open on left

did I confuse the crap outta you yet ????? LOL

regards

joe

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
my favourites are about the only thing i reguarly back up to another drive,nothing worse than something going wrong and having to redo a couple of thousand sites

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
dai said:
my favourites are about the only thing i reguarly back up to another drive,nothing worse than something going wrong and having to redo a couple of thousand sites
That's the truth. I keep a copy of the favoties for both machines on my network drive/ file server. :sayyes:You can also do an export to a spicific location and file. Go File, import and export, a wizard will open and assist you through it. :sayyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.