Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading everything I can get my hands/keyboard on my P4C800 Deluxe.
Just got back from IZ and treated myself with my "first" self-built system (my "working" system is a Dell 450mhz!)

ANTEC case/p4c800/256 mem (other sticks in the mail!)/ intel 2.6/ Audigy 2 / ATI 9800 / 2x Seagate 120gb on SATA RAID 1

So I built it and one beep. attempted to install WINXP Pro.....

Boom! System can't find files during install, and the blue screen of death!

Questions: Do I need 2 sticks to load the OS?

The Intel Chipset Software Install Utility won't fit on a floppy. Any ideas?

Need all the help I can come up with. The wife has taken over this system to do "her" stuff.
:winkgrin:

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
You should have no issue with one memory module, all the second will do is add more memory. I'd start with a download of www.memtest86.com and run it overnight. Many times, these kinds of installation glitches are bad memory.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Boom! System can't find files during install, and the blue screen of death!
I agree with johnwill, one stick sounds dumb but that was the solution Fireplay5 just found for the similar problem reading from the install CD. A temporary solution, while buying different memory(?). Went all through all sorts of other ideas --cables, strapping, etc.-- and they happened to pull one stick and it worked, see Cant install XP on new asus p4p800 deluxe mb.

The Intel Chipset Software Install Utility won't fit on a floppy. Any ideas?
There's a copy on the Asus mobo install CD. Use that one first, it ought to be close enough to the latest, for your needs.

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
alot of times i have seen mismatched memory having small issues that normally dont show up.

i have even seen it work as soon as a stick was removed.

in a few cases i have seen someone pull one out so they could install, and then they always stick it back in when they are done.

its sorta like windows is more picky during the install process.

~BoB~

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ran memory test......Plenty of errors! So now must get motherboards.com to HOPEFULLY replace mem with ASUS "approved" ram. wish me luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.