Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I'm currently a intern for a company as a systems administrator. Through research of their systems i realize their Symantec is wayyy out of date (not supported anymore) What would be good suggestions for a more updated/current form of security.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are currently using Symantec AV 8.0 corporate version, which if im not mistaken was released back in '03

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Symantec's Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition is still a solid AV for businesses. They're up to version 11 right now. They have a whole whack of new/different things now as well. Take a peek here.

Norton is still my personal favourite when it comes to business AV. Don't get me wrong, I don't really touch their Home/SOHO anymore, even though 2008 is a vast improvement over the drudgeries of 2005/2006, but their business side has been going strong.

Keep in mind when considering new software - any software, including security software - to ask yourself these questions:

1) Do I really need it? Is there a noticeable/significant level of improvement over the old one? Will it foul up anything?
2) Can I justify not only the financial expense of the product, but also the financial expense of my time spent getting it up, the expense of other personnel, as well as system/network downtime?
3) Is there the budget, personnel, and time available to do this project this quarter? Next quarter? This year? Next year? What other priorities are there?
4) If all the above is good, can I "sell" it to the business?

If you want to do it right, and I mean this by saying not doing it half-cocked (which will make you nowhere fast in the large/corporate sector), ask yourself these questions, do some research, and find the answers. Don't hesitate to ask questions either here or at your business. Obviously there are some parts to the questions above which will involve picking the brains of others there.

Addendum: If you are having trouble with parts of questions 1 and 4, you can really get some valuable information by asking the product's company (eg. Symantec) themselves - contact their sales department. Trust me, that's what a company's sales department is there for. They want your e-mail/phone call. Just make sure not to get wholly sucked into what they say, they are afterall the sales department.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.