Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, I just recently broke my cd-rw drive and purchased a new one.
It is a different brand but the same read/write speeds.
On my computer I also have installed a dvd-rom.
Here's the problem: When I start windows and both cd drives are connected, neither of them are detected and do not show up in "My Computer". But here's where it gets interesting.. When I disconnect my new cd-rw drive so that the only one connected is my dvd-rom drive, the dvd-rom shows up in "My Computer". Both drives are connected on the same ribbon cable, just as they were previously before I broke my old one. Any Ideas?

I'm running Windows 98SE, with a 2.53ghz p4, 512mb RAM and have an ASUS motherboard. Also connected is a 3 1/4in floppy.

PS: Another thing I noticed was a slight lag in the computer's performance (ever since I removed the other cd-rw drive).. e.g. when I opn something up it takes a little longer to display.

Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Welcome to the forums!!

Check the jumper settings on back of both drives. Ensure one is set to master and the other is set to slave. Or set both the cable select.

·
Registered
23 Posts
daveyp225 said:
hello, I just recently broke my cd-rw drive and purchased a new one.
It is a different brand but the same read/write speeds.
On my computer I also have installed a dvd-rom.
Here's the problem: When I start windows and both cd drives are connected, neither of them are detected and do not show up in "My Computer". But here's where it gets interesting.. When I disconnect my new cd-rw drive so that the only one connected is my dvd-rom drive, the dvd-rom shows up in "My Computer". Both drives are connected on the same ribbon cable, just as they were previously before I broke my old one. Any Ideas?

I'm running Windows 98SE, with a 2.53ghz p4, 512mb RAM and have an ASUS motherboard. Also connected is a 3 1/4in floppy.

PS: Another thing I noticed was a slight lag in the computer's performance (ever since I removed the other cd-rw drive).. e.g. when I opn something up it takes a little longer to display.

Thanks for your help
512 ram on win98 it really cant manage but thats not a problem try to run with 1024 ram n win98 will blow alone , about ur cdrom there are only 3 jumpers behinde , put both cdrom drivers on salve and plug on with ur hard drive [ ur hdd im very sure its master with salve present ] .
U just solve both problem n with both cd-rom slave :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not much of a hardware guy so you'll have to explain a little better.. now.. this is the outline of my ribbon cable..

--MASTER--[CD-RW DRIVE]
|
|-- SLAVE--[DVD-ROM DRIVE]
|
SYSTEM

the one connected to the hard drive will not reach either of the cd drives.. additionally.. I don't have any free "slots" for additional ribbon cables to connect to the motherboard.
I don't understand why it doesn't work.. because this was the previous arrangement with the dvd-rom and cd-rw before I removed the cd-rw..
any other ideas?

thanks much

·
Registered
23 Posts
daveyp225 said:
I'm not much of a hardware guy so you'll have to explain a little better.. now.. this is the outline of my ribbon cable..

--MASTER--[CD-RW DRIVE]
|
|-- SLAVE--[DVD-ROM DRIVE]
|
SYSTEM

the one connected to the hard drive will not reach either of the cd drives.. additionally.. I don't have any free "slots" for additional ribbon cables to connect to the motherboard.
I don't understand why it doesn't work.. because this was the previous arrangement with the dvd-rom and cd-rw before I removed the cd-rw..
any other ideas?

thanks much
you want to tell me that you have 1 ide device on ur mainboard? lol
well liste u want to put a cdrw a dvd-rom and a cdrom? and ur hdd ?
be sure u setup master and slave correctlly n in other case ur CD-ROM isnt GOOD ! have u asked this ?
try to put'em separatlley only cd-rom and then only dvd-rom and post me the result :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, I'm not trying to attatch cd-rom, just a dvd-rom and a cdrw.. and I meant that I have no free IDE devices not that I didn't have any other ones..
I'm not too familiar with hardware.. So I don't know how exactly the slave/master should be set up. It is however configured the way it originally was before I removed the broken cd-rw..

Another thing that may have something to do with all this could be my hard disk controllers..
Both my Primary and secondary IDE conrollers have yellow exclimation points next to them, obviously indicating that theres a problem.. I attempted to "update" the drivers but it says I'm using the best possible ones and that I have to keep them.
Maybe I could try reinstalling them? And how would I go about doing that.. the device manager only allows me to update them..

This is really fusturating...

thanks again

·
Registered
23 Posts
daveyp225 said:
No, I'm not trying to attatch cd-rom, just a dvd-rom and a cdrw.. and I meant that I have no free IDE devices not that I didn't have any other ones..
I'm not too familiar with hardware.. So I don't know how exactly the slave/master should be set up. It is however configured the way it originally was before I removed the broken cd-rw..

Another thing that may have something to do with all this could be my hard disk controllers..
Both my Primary and secondary IDE conrollers have yellow exclimation points next to them, obviously indicating that theres a problem.. I attempted to "update" the drivers but it says I'm using the best possible ones and that I have to keep them.
Maybe I could try reinstalling them? And how would I go about doing that.. the device manager only allows me to update them..

This is really fusturating...

thanks again
Oh ok thx u now cos u telling me about exclamation sign there are 2 ways.
1: re-install ur sistem cos u told me ur not expert to remove inf from windows and add'em back but u have to go onto ur CMOS setup and load Best Perfomances and other option of Optimal perfomances and come back and re-install
2: create a bootdisk from windows 98 startup boot disk option
edit autoexec.bat and config.sys from ur hard drive and load your cd-rom drive in autoexec.bat and config.sys , 1st try this option if will not work u hafta reinstall , even if u'll have excalamation sign ur cdrom's will work how far if doesnt bother u an excalamation in device manager :)

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
im not sure OAE is making sense.

do you not know about jumpers?

they are little stupid plastic things on the back of the drive near the cable plugs, and sometimes on hard disks they are in different places.

it really doesnt matter how you set them up, but you will have to make sure there is a slave and a master on each cable.

look at the cd drive you took out.

set the jumper on the new cd drive the same, stick it back in, and it should work fine.

but what goes on what cable isnt important.
in my machine i have a master HD and a slave HD on the first cable, and a cdrom and a cdburner on the other cable

in my girlfriends machine, there is two cdroms on cable one, and two hard disks on cable two

in my extra machine, i have a cdrom on the first cable, and a hard disk running on the second cable

but, the jumper settings are the most crucial thing.

~BoB~

·
Registered
23 Posts
bob vila said:
im not sure OAE is making sense.

do you not know about jumpers?

they are little stupid plastic things on the back of the drive near the cable plugs, and sometimes on hard disks they are in different places.

it really doesnt matter how you set them up, but you will have to make sure there is a slave and a master on each cable.

look at the cd drive you took out.

set the jumper on the new cd drive the same, stick it back in, and it should work fine.

but what goes on what cable isnt important.
in my machine i have a master HD and a slave HD on the first cable, and a cdrom and a cdburner on the other cable

in my girlfriends machine, there is two cdroms on cable one, and two hard disks on cable two

in my extra machine, i have a cdrom on the first cable, and a hard disk running on the second cable

but, the jumper settings are the most crucial thing.

~BoB~
Hello Bob ,
I worked into a service computer departamanet in Romania in case of an excalamation sign on CD-ROM i use to init cd-rom trought 'dos' then in Windows there wasnt problems.

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
If you have the two exclamation points, then you may have had a blue screen of death upon boot up of your computer after installing the new drive.

If your jumpers are set correctly, and your cmos sees both drives before booting windows.

Open regedit from the run command on the startmenu.

Find the key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\IOS

Look for a "noide" on the right hand side. Delete this entry(just the noide reference.) Reboot your computer.

For jumper settings, you have pins to the left of the ide interface on the cdrom drives. The markings may be different, but they should have words/letters indicating MA-Master, SL-Slave, CS-cable select. Just put the jumpers on one to be master, the other to be slave.

:confused:

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
OAE said:
Hello Bob ,
I worked into a service computer departamanet in Romania in case of an excalamation sign on CD-ROM i use to init cd-rom trought 'dos' then in Windows there wasnt problems.
You should never need any MS-DOS driver for a CD/CD-RW drive in Windows.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Everything was correctly connected to the best of my knowledge about computers.. I tried reinstalling drivers and many different combinations of connections within the computer..
Thanks for all your help guys, but everything seemed in order, so I figured there might be some other problem that I could not fix by myself. I had nowhere else to turn but to a repair shop..

I'll post here what the problem was when I pick up my computer tomorrow for reference to anyone else having a similar problem.

Reguards,
Dave

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
heh

i agree with johnwill.

in the past when i have seen people running their drives in msdos mode, it always causes the entire system to crawl.

support documentation also states that it is a bad idea unless you absolutely need it to be so.

but what i meant by OAE not making sense is that oae was telling the person to rearrange the order of the drives, and in the case of a drive replacement, there isnt any need for that.

you simply jumper the new drive the same as the old one, and slide it in and hook it up.

has worked for me 100% of the time

~BoB~

·
Registered
529 Posts
Don't DVD's have to be master? I think it does, so that CD-RW should be Slave.

Try Cable Select only, then try hard-binding them with Cable Select in, then try pulling Cable Select out. Some machines seem to need that Cable Select jumper in while that confuses others. That could be an issue. Had it happen to me before.

That actually sounds more like a master/slave conflict, though the Cable-Select being set wrong has done it to me before. Do try experimenting with those jumpers on both drives.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Another cause

I have seen this a few times ... A boot sector virus can cause Windows to not see/recognise a CD-ROM or other optical device even though the system sees it at post.

And, as Bob and JW have already said ... JUMPERS-JUMPERS-JUMPERS ...

Oh, and I never use cable select - just seems to cause problems ... Maybe I have a bad aura?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I've had problems with Cable Select on some computers, some computers need it, and some didn't give a rat's

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.