13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i'm having a rather frustrating problem:

my setup a few days ago was:
MSI P45 Neo3-fr motherboard
4gig (2 x2gig) Dominator ram, 1066
2.2ghz intel dc
radeon 3870hd

i've been using windows 7 since release, and have had absolutely no problems with the machine. my father bought a new processor, and i gave him my old one in return for building his machine. yesterday i pulled-out my 2.2ghz intel dc, and replaced it with a 2.93ghz intel dc. my new specs as of yesterday:

MSI P45 Neo3-fr motherboard
4g (2 x2g) Dominator ram, 1066
2.93ghz intel dc
radeon 3870hd

now, the chamber where the CPU is held has numerous, frail pins and i bent a few of them in the process of building. i bent them back, to the best of my ability, and put the rig back together. the computer boots to bios just fine, and reads that i have a 2.93ghz processor. the computer continues to boot into the OS, and here is my problem. the computer hangs on the windows 7 "starting windows" screen. i've let it sit for a little while, and the logo never shines in.

i have tried the following:

*restarting the motherboard. i moved the jumpers to the 2-3 positions and pulled out the battery for a few minutes. i returned the battery and moved the jumper back to the 1-2 positions. i'm able to boot to the desktop, and the computer runs like everything is dandy. i ran modern warefare 2 just to see how it would perform, and the game ran just as beautiful as ever.
however, after doing a shutdown i get the same hang on "starting windows" screen when booting...

*i tried booting from my repair disc. i get a hung-up on "windows is loading files" unless i restart the motherboard. even after restarting the motherboard, the process is not able to repair anything.

*next, i re-upgraded the windows 7 installation after booting to the desktop by the, previously mentioned, restarting the motherboard method. this went through flawlessly and i got the installation updated. i was hoping this would setup the new processor to talk with the bios and that would fix the solution. no luck, same problem after shuting down and powering on...

*my last resort was reinstalling the OS completely, and went fine as well. same issue after performing a shutdown and powering on...

i'm out of options at this point, and the MB's manufacture isn't open for tech support until monday. i plan on exercising my warranty and replacing the motherboard if they're unable to resolve this over the phone

what do you guys think? i'm just shooting the moon here. thank you and sorry if it's a long post, i wanted to be descriptive to best help any potential problem solvers.

for the record: the processor is supported by the motherboard

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i have not tried swapping cpus out, he's using the processor atm. i can give that a shot maybe tonight after work.

the problem with the bent cpu pins is i can actually get it to work some of the time...my theory is if they were causing the problem, it would never work. what do you think about that?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i put in the original 2.2ghz processor and it works like a charm!

i have an rma on the 2.93ghz, hoping it was just a bad chip

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.