Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all

ever since i installed my Opty 185 dual core on Windows XP SP2, ive noticed that several of my games (thief 3, splinter cell 1 and splinter cell pandora tomorrow) have irregular and/or no in-game sound.

both splinter cells have effects audio but no voice audio

Thief 3 has absolutely nothing in-game

all games on start up have audio but its when i get in the game that the audio is non existent in part or in whole

Im running both the AMD dual core optimizer as well as the XP SP2 hotfix for dual core chips on XP OSs

any help or insight would be great

System:

A8n32 sli
opty 185 @ 2.6gHz
3 gigs OCZ EL Platinum RAM
XFX geforce 7800 GT x 2 (sli mode)
seagate barracuda 200 gig 7200
ocz powerstream sli 600w PSU
windows XP SP2
creative gigaworks 7.1
creative audigy 2ZS soundcard

·
TSF Team Emeritus
3,450 Posts
If the steps Indoril pointed you to don't help i would try re-installing your Audio Drivers.
Drivers can sometimes randomly become corrupted an it is an easy enough process to fix.

Creative Audigy 2ZS Drivers

The above link is an updated version of the drivers and will also uninstall your previous drivers for you.

Let us know how you go.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey guys

i reinstalled my audio drivers and the same thing is happening. i have no idea whats going on. I just dont understand why i get half audio in one game and absolutely no audio in another. granted these are older games compared to some of my others (company of heroes, oblivion etc. - no problems with these)

im due for a format anyway so i just may do that and reinstall everything fresh.

i still have yet to update my video drivers. Im currently using 77.77 as i was told that this version works well with dualcore rigs. Before i had 8xx series and there was a compatibility issue.

thanks for all your help guys. i have a few more tricks up my sleeve and ill see what happens.

i also forgot to mention that i was running a logitech G11 keyboard, you dont think there would be a software issue with my keyboard and games, do you?

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Thirdeye462 said:
i also forgot to mention that i was running a logitech G11 keyboard, you dont think there would be a software issue with my keyboard and games, do you?
No. I use the very same keyboard for all my gaming, with no problems. It's designed for gaming.

Thirdeye462 said:
i still have yet to update my video drivers. Im currently using 77.77 as i was told that this version works well with dualcore rigs. Before i had 8xx series and there was a compatibility issue.
Read the NVIDIA Drivers thread in my signature, and update to the 84.21 version, which is the most stable and performs the best. (I use the 84.21's on all my computers, including my main dual-core one.)

If you haven't already, run through the rest of the steps in that thread I mentioned. Try reinstalling the games before you go reformatting the system.

Let us know how you go.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey guys:

thanks for all of your suggestions but nothing seems to work short of a format (if that works at all).

I am now running 8xx series video drivers (84.21 I believe) as you suggested as well as new audio drivers and alas, not a thing.

Ive tried rebooting, disabling software in the background and reinstalling the games to no avail.

I appreciate your insight but I think its time for a format. Im surprised no one else has audio issues with a dual core like me. I figured this would be common.

after the format, ill let you guys know if theres a difference.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Do you have the latest version of the AMD drivers installed? I'd check that before doing a format. I haven't had any audio problems with my X2 4200+ or my X2 5200+, but I did have to install the drivers before the system would recognise the CPU (worked fine, but didn't know what it was).

Good luck, and let us know how you go with the format.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
3,450 Posts
You could also try removing the sound card and try playing with onboard sound. If nothing else works, i'd give it a try before a full format.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey guys:

its been a while with regards to my audio. I recently threw in a 150X Raptor drive with XP SP2. I have installed most of my games as I am using this drive strictly for gaming (i have it set up as a dual-boot whereby my new Raptor is a Local Disk C: and my old Barracuda is now my local disk G:).

I am having the same issues with no in game sound; some games have effects audio but no music or background audio.

As far as I know I have the latest directX 9.0C version installed along with recent Audigy 2ZS drivers from the website.

I also have the latest AMD drivers with both the Dual core optimizer and the Microsoft multi-core hotfix.

I have yet to try these games with onboard AC97 audio isntead of the SB Audigy card.

Would it be safe to say that if i still dont have any audio after uninstalling my SB card that it may be EAX/THX issues or even sound card setting issues? If it is, I havent a clue where to look

Just a reminder: Thief 3= no sound whatsoever; KOTOR I and II = no sound; FEAR = effects audio only and no background/conversation sound between characters: Splinter Cell 1 and Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow= no sound

All other games (call of duty 2, day of defeat, star wars FOC, EAW, Battle ground II, Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, Rebellion, Shogun:Total War, Oblivion, Doom III are ok for sound.

ALL GAMES HAVE BEEN PATCHED BTW.

This is so very perplexing im stuck and dont know what to do. If anyone has had this happen to them please let me know.

System:

A8n32 sli
opty 185 @ 2.6gHz (stock clock)
3 gigs OCZ EL Platinum RAM
XFX geforce 7800 GT x 2 (sli mode)
seagate barracuda 200 gig 7200 SATA: Raptor 150 X SATA (dual-boot)
ocz powerstream sli 600w PSU
windows XP SP2 on both HDDs
creative gigaworks 7.1 speakers
creative audigy 2ZS soundcard 7.1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.