Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a new computer that came with no OS..Im thinking of useing Linux or Knoppix or any other suggestion in here. I know that since there is no OS, once I install a OS i will be required to install all the drivers etc.. from a resource cd.. does anyone know where I can get the drivers and downloads I need besides buying a resource cd... second I had a computer that I was useing windows xp on and got rid of the computer but still have windows xp will I be able to use that software on my new computer even though it was registered to my old computer?Thanks

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
it depends on if you sold the computer with or without an op.system
for the linux i will move you to that forum

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
resource cd

will i still need a resource cd to install chipset audio and the rest of the drivers and utilities or are these available at dell .com for a GX150
I still have my dell XP home edition cd.. i just sold the computer and cleaned out all of my files and stuff but i think the xp was on there

·
Registered
370 Posts
Most of the drivers will be installed automatically during the OS install

For those that don't, post back

Oh and any cd you have from Dell will probally only have Windows drivers and will therefore be useless in linux.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks DaI..I will check that out... And as for Linux does anyone know if there is a OS compatibility requirement with Sbc yahoo dsl..or will Linux be fine and function with sbc's dsl...

Where do I get the linux download...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
PandaHater said:
And as for Linux does anyone know if there is a OS compatibility requirement with Sbc yahoo dsl..or will Linux be fine and function with sbc's dsl...
There's no reason why Linux wouldn't work with SBC.

PandaHater said:
Where do I get the linux download...
Make sure you figure out what distro will suit your needs before downloading. You can get a summary of the major distros here and you can download them here here.

·
Registered
370 Posts
With the SBC DSL you wont be able to install any of the software Yahoo supplies for your system but it really wont matter. You don't really need that stuff in the first place anyway.

Just make sure your machine is hooked up to the internet when you install and everything should auto-configure

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No OS....

Hey DaI, can i just go ahead save linux to a cdrw disk and then slap it into the computer with no OS along with the drivers and utilities for the Gx150 desktop.. Can you give me some easy steps on how to install a OS in a computer that came with no OS.. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
370 Posts
This isn't hard at all

You put in the disk

Boot the machine

And install from the disk

That's all.

Try some of this stuff on your own and ask back when your stuck

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I cant even download it, it is very confusing... Knoppix that is...

I have two computers can I run my Windows XP on both..:)

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
leagally you can only run xp on one,usually some of the computer mags have linux disks on their front cover disk

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok i just got the new computer and like i said it was sold without an OS.. However now that i turned it on it is just a blank screen, I cant see the bios option to configure the cd boot first.. What do I do Please help.. When i turn it on the computer beeps three times and just sits there..

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Linux, I have burned the whole program from UBuntu the website and it is ready but it didnt boot up when i put the cd in... just a bland screen..nothing and right now i was trying to get a way to download the bios for gx150 optiplex from dells site and there isnt a way of getting on cd even though i put it on my hard drive and burned it with sonic. so i have my tower and the blank tower here that is why i am able to communicate the computer that is new like i said turns on but nothing happens just three beeps, i opened it made sure that the memory was completely in and that everything was attached. Thanks

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
PandaHater said:
Linux, I have burned the whole program from UBuntu the website and it is ready but it didnt boot up when i put the cd in... just a bland screen..nothing and right now i was trying to get a way to download the bios for gx150 optiplex from dells site and there isnt a way of getting on cd even though i put it on my hard drive and burned it with sonic. so i have my tower and the blank tower here that is why i am able to communicate the computer that is new like i said turns on but nothing happens just three beeps, i opened it made sure that the memory was completely in and that everything was attached. Thanks get six beeps on initial start up,, 1/3/2 sequence..

·
Registered
370 Posts
There's no splash screen or boot up memory info? Might be a serious hardware problem. Sure everything is pluged in the right spots and seated correctly?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.