Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently i had to buy a new computer because my old motherboard fried. i've got xp home. i got an athlon 64 3500 pocessor and an asus a8n-sli motherboard. when i turn it on and it goes to load windows, but then a blue screen flashes and it reboots. i need a way to get it to boot with the old hard drive. i've looked for ways to do this but all of them require the old computer to work. i cant do a repair install of xp because emachines likes to screw people out of the xp cd. the only way i can access the hard drive is as a slave on the computer im using now. i cant make a backup of it because the hard drive on this computer is too small and i dont want to buy a new one. how can i get this to work?

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

you hit it on the head. The only way you can use that old hard drive on this computer is as a slave to another drive that has Windows on it. It will not work because the chipset and chipset drivers are different for the motherboard you had and the one you have now.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
rmoore88 said:
ive got the cd with the new drivers on it. can i get them installed?
Hi,

Normally, you have to do that before you change the motherboard. If you don't have a operating system CD, that further complicates the matter. I don't know how you can get it to boot to change anything if it does not recognize the hard drive that you are trying to change over.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have made the xp cd and tried to run it but my computer refuses to boot off of the cd. i fixed the boot sequence but it says "please insert system disk". i booted with a boot floppy and typed "D:", but it says that it cant find the drive. the drive shows up in the bios, but it wont boot off of it. i thought the drive might be bad because it made some weird noises, so i tried a different one, but its still the same. how do i get it to boot off of the cd drive?

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

I hope we didn't get the "hoop" and "dog" that must jump through it in the wrong sequence. Therefore, I need to check a couple of things to make sure all your ducks are in order:

First of all, what brand name and size of drive are we talking about. (or did I miss this someplace?)

When it is set up as slave, how do you have the jumpers set?

When set up as slave, where is it placed on the ribbon cable?

When set up as slave, what else is on that ribbon cable?

Are you certain that you are using an 80 connector cable and not one of the old 40 connector cables?

Reply back and maybe someone can take another hit at this problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i decided to try something a little bit different. i had an old 7gig(not really old, 4 years) hard drive laying around so i thought i would install xp on it and just use my good one as a slave. i was going to format the 7gig drive before i installed xp, but it wouldnt let me. it said that it didnt recognize fdisk as a command and after i tried many times i just decided to go ahead and install xp, but then i came to the problem where it wont let me access the cd drive. the cd drive is a samsung. the hard drive is a fujitsu. ive got all the jumpers set right. as for the ribbon cables, im using the new ones that came with the motherboard.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
rmoore88 said:
i decided to try something a little bit different. i had an old 7gig(not really old, 4 years) hard drive laying around so i thought i would install xp on it and just use my good one as a slave. i was going to format the 7gig drive before i installed xp, but it wouldnt let me. it said that it didnt recognize fdisk as a command and after i tried many times i just decided to go ahead and install xp, but then i came to the problem where it wont let me access the cd drive.
First of all, if you are going to install WinXP, then you don't need to mess with or use Fdisk, except in exceptional circumstances which I don't think you have. You need to enter the BIOS setup menu and set the boot order to:

CDRom
Floppy
Hard Disk you want to set up the OS on.

Don't forget to save before you exit.

Then, put the OS CD in the CDRom and it should recognize it and permit you to partition and format it.

rmoore88 said:
the cd drive is a samsung. the hard drive is a fujitsu. ive got all the jumpers set right. as for the ribbon cables, im using the new ones that came with the motherboard..
Having all the jumpers set right means what? Do you have master and slave jumpers (which for which one), or do you have Cable Select on both.....you really need to explain before someone can help.

I would suggest that you consider listing it this way:

IDE #1..........................middle of ribbon cable.......end of ribbon cable
Drive.............................Name/type of drive..........Name/type of drive
Jumpers........................Set how?........................Set how?

IDE #2..........................Do the same thing as listed above.

** By the way, I have that same motherboard on this computer.

Please respond back if you have questions.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have the boot order

cdrom
floppy
hard drive

but it does not recognize the cd and goes to the floppy, and then wont let me access the cd

IDE #1......................middle of ribbon cable.......end of ribbon cable
Drive............................nothing.........................fujitsu hard drive
Jumpers........................nothing..........................master

IDE #2..........................middle of ribbon cable.......end of ribbon cable
Drive.............................nothing.........................samsung cd drive
Jumpers.........................nothing..........................master

ive still got my good hard drive in the computer that im using now as a slave

also, when i made that xp cd from the I386 folder, it said that i should have between 1000 and 1500 files but i had over 5000 on my hard drive and the computer in using now has over 8000

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

You seem set up O.K.....take out the "good" hard drive while you set up Windows on the fujitsu hard drive. See if that helps. You can always put it back when you get a good solid windows copy in the computer. Oh, I almost forgot, you didn't say where that was hooked up on your chart when you tried it. You might pass that information along so we know the complete setup.

If that does not work, then try the hard drive you are trying to load Windows on and the CDRom on the same cable with the hard drive set to master and the other one set to slave.

Or, you could try both on cable select.

Just throwing out ideas for you to try.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tumbleweed36 said:
Hi,
take out the "good" hard drive while you set up Windows on the fujitsu hard drive.
i dont have that hard drive in that computer. its in my only working computer as a slave
i tried to boot the computer again but i left the floppy out and it started to work. the fujitsu hard drive has win98 on it and it started installing the new hardware, but when it got to "pci ide controller" it crashed. i think there might be something wrong with the ribbon cable because when it gave me a choice of where to get some drivers, the cd drive didnt show up as a choice, so im going to check that now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i tried a different ribbon cable, but it didnt work, and i tried making the cd drive a slave to the hard drive, but it didnt work. any more suggestions?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ive tried 3 different cd-roms and now i have decided to use the one that the fujitsu hard drive already had installed on it. it will boot into 98 in safe mode only but then i cant access the drive. it will not boot off of the drive, and when i try to boot it normally it locks up going through the hardware changes. is there a way to access it in safe mode?

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
rmoore88 said:
also, when i made that xp cd from the I386 folder
Hi,

Need to back up a bit. I somehow didn't see the above statement (getting old eyes I guess). Could you please explain what you meant by this statement. What kind of CD for xp? How did you make it? When you said you made it, what does that mean? Do you or do you not have a fully operational OS disk that is self-booting?

This information should help us some.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i downloaded the program from microsoft to make boot disks to install xp. when i got to the last floppy, it said

Stop: C0000221 Hard Error
\systemRoot\system32\ntdll.dll

and then it wouldnt do anything. what does this mean and how do i fix it?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tumbleweed36 said:
Hi,

Need to back up a bit. I somehow didn't see the above statement (getting old eyes I guess). Could you please explain what you meant by this statement. What kind of CD for xp? How did you make it? When you said you made it, what does that mean? Do you or do you not have a fully operational OS disk that is self-booting?

This information should help us some.
If you will look here http://www.easydesksoftware.com/recovery.htm you will see what i did, thanks to linderman for that info
but im past that now, i couldnt get it to boot off of the disk so i just put the I386 folder on the fujitsu hard drive. i can start to install xp now but it says that my product key is invalid. i copied it directly off of the sticker on the back of my old computer, but it wont work. there is a method at that link that tells how to install if you cant find the key, but it wont work for me. what should i do now?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok, i fixed it. i decided to try the key one more time before i called microsoft, and it worked. thank you to everyone that helped.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.