Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooo, yes. I (and some more knowledgeable friends) built myself a new computer (with the specs in my profile). Everything was going swimmingly until I tried to get my Outlook mail going. For some reason, I couldn't get it to connect to my server (my mail is tied to my website). When I tried to visit my website, I couldn't get it it to come up. I called a couple of friends to see if they could access it and they were very much able to. So I called my ISP (Charter Cable) and spent most of the morning with them trying to resolve it ( I did a search afterwards using something they asked me to type in a command window: telnet www.yahoo.com, and found someone else had the exact same problem but there wasn't much of a solution in that particular forum). The cable company decided that it was a problem on their end (because they couldn't fix it) and told me that it they would work on it. I'm still waiting.

I found it pretty ironic that my own website was the only one I couldn't access. Then I hopped on MySpace and noticed that some of my profile pics were missing. With a little sleuthing, I figured out that the older pics are sitting on a different server than the newer pics. And the newer pics are the only ones showing up. So I figured that my computer was only having trouble with the server where the old pics are. Continuing, I had trouble with just certain sites around the internet. Now, I could probably live without some of these, but I can't have my own website be a stranger to me.

I've already gone through the usual stuff, turning off firewalls and such, clearing out cookies and caches. I'm not sure what else to do.

Anyone have any clues?

Thanks in advance.

Rick.

ps. My website is www.rickcortes.com . Take a look around, since I can't. :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's the forum post I talked about. Maybe it'll help explain my problem a little better.

http://tinyurl.com/yggvc8

This cat seems to think he's having trouble with secure sites. I'm pretty much able to log on to any password-protected sites so far though.

He mentions the length of his cable connection. When I switched from the old computer to the new one, I changed my cable modem's connection from usb to ethernet. The ethernet cable I have happens to be crazy long since I used to use it for my XBox (which is across the room). Could that be the culprit?

Also, I switched from XP Home to XP Pro.

Thank again.

R.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Please open a command prompt, and type the following:

ipconfig /all > c:\ip.txt

Press enter, then open ip.txt and post the results here.

This sounds like a DNS issue. You may want to manually set your DNS to a public one like 4.2.2.2

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.